Graduation Hat Cake

Decorating By kimmi1963 Updated 21 May 2010 , 4:40pm by kimmi1963

kimmi1963 Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 3

Just a question and I hope I am doing this the correct way. I have bought the Wilton cake pan graduation hat. My sons school colors are royal blue and red. Cap and gown are royal blue. I was going to buttercream frost with the star tip in royal blue to match. Will that stain peoples mouths overly bad? If so What would you suggest as an alternative? Thanks so much in advanced for your help.

2 replies
catlharper Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 3

Yes, if you color your buttercream blue it will dye peoples mouths. What you may want to do instead is buy the blue spray (near the Wilton stuff in the store) and spray the cake instead of dying the buttercream. When you cut the cake you will see just a thin layer of blue and then the white buttercream under it but before cutting it will look blue. Tip to spraying...if you can make a spray area with newspaper on your counter or table that extends about 8 inches out from the cake you will get a cleaner area since the spray really does go everywhere. Spray in thin layers and long strokes and it will turn out great! HTH Cat

kimmi1963 Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for the tips on spraying. I will get some and practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%