Help!! My Buttercream Has Chunks Of Meringue Powder In It

Baking By insertft Updated 21 May 2010 , 6:59pm by Walls1971

insertft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insertft Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 4

after making a large batch of buttercream, I found chunks of what has to be the meringue powder in it. What can I do?? I'm in a time crunch now...is there a way to get it out, and how do I avoid it in the future?

3 replies
maryspencer2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryspencer2000 Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 4

I am not sure if there is a way to get it out now I think your best bet is to make a new batch. Whenever I use a buttercream that has meringue powder in it I always sift it first. I then cream it with the shortning and liquids until fluffy I then add my sifted powdered sugar. I have never had a problem with it. I usually use Indydebbies buttercream now though.

Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 4

I always keep nylon knee high socks close to hand. Put your icing inside one of the nylons, put that down inside your piping bag. Use one hand to hold the bag at the top and the other to pull the nylon sock out. It will strain the icing, leaving the lumps in the sock and the now clear icing in the piping bag. This is sooooo helpful when you are doing string work or working with itty bitty tips.

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 4

Frotusbush, how easy is that to do? I'm thoroughly impressed with your solution, but I know I would make a huge mess of things trying to do that! LOL Where you taught that technique? Does the buttercream really go through the nylon that easily?

Wow! Too cool icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%