Question About Stacking 3 Layer Tier

Decorating By kdscalling Updated 21 May 2010 , 3:31pm by sweetpea1972

kdscalling Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 8

We have 2 cakes due this weekend. On each one the bottom tier has 3 layers of cake. What I am concerned about is the each layer of the cake is heavy all by itself. If I stack a 3rd layer on top of the first two and then cover it with fondant, I am concern that tier will implode especially when the 2nd tier (only 2 layer) is stacked on top.

How do you all handle this style of cake? do you 'stack' the 3 layer and use cardboard and supports to hold the 3rd layer or do you just trust that the 3rd layer won't be too heavy?

Thank you for your input,
Katherine

7 replies
ebredhawk Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 8

i'm not sure i 100% understand, but are you stacking the 2nd tier on the bottom without any supports? As long as you have a support structure that keeps the cakes underneath from carrying the weight of the cakes on top, you shouldn't have any issues. i don't think i would trust a tiered cake without some kind of support, even if it's just for your peace of mind!

leah_s Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 8

Generally you can stack three layers of cake within the tier. How tall is each layer?

Of course you need support under that upper tier.

kdscalling Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 8

yes, there is support between tiers.

The bottom tier will be 3 layers each of which is 14" wide and 2" tall. The bottom tier will have a total height of 6". I am concerned that the 3rd layer will add too much weight and am wanting to know how others handle tiers that are not the standard 4" tall.

Thank you,
Katherine

DianeLM Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 8

I have not had problems covering a 3-layer, 6-inch tier with fondant. As long as you compress the filled cake properly before applying the fondant, it should be fine. By compress, I mean place a weight on top of the filled cake and let rest for several hours.

sweetpea1972 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 8

I don't mean to hijack this post, but as another question with a three layer tier...do you cut it the same (just smaller pieces) or do you put a barrier between half so it is a smaller height? Sorry if that doesn't make sense. I was just thinking of this when this post popped up.

Thanks!

leah_s Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 8

Standard cake slices are 4" tall. With a 6" cake, I'd think that you'd go on and cut them full height. Of course since you're providing 50% more cake, the price per serving would also increase by 50%.

sweetpea1972 Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thx leah_s. That's what I thought also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%