Im Making A Topsey Turvey Cake (First Ever) And Will Be +

Decorating By makeupdivaa Updated 22 May 2010 , 4:19pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

makeupdivaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeupdivaa Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 7

using cake boxed mixes that are very moist. Do you think i should get a more dense type of cake for the bottom teir? My cake will be 3 tiers.

thanks

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 7

I am making a topsy cake now. I made the top tier out of 3 layers of my typical butter cake, and it collapsed. I ended up having to use a pound cake. I'd advise switching to something more firm.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 7

The top tier should be ok - you might need something a little denser for the bottom. I use the WASC it has worked well, but it is really in the support you use. With the right support system you should be able to use cake.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 7

Exactly. Your support system prevents the cake from collapsing. Not all tiered traditional wedding cakes are pound cake.

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 7

I have only tried one and it kicked my butt. Tiers looked great, so proud, until......... it was like watching a balloon slowly deflate as they sit after fondant was added before stacking. They just got shorter and the fondant kinda look like a sock that needed pulled up. (quote from another CCer so accurate in this case) I am thinking denser cake and longer sitting time before adding fondant. Live and learn

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7

I have to agree with Karen, it's not the cake, it is the support system.

I laugh when people come to me and tell me that other bakeries won't do their cakes in certain flavors because of the density of the cake. If you put the correct support system in place, you can have almost any type of cake!

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 7

I use cake mixes for my topsy turvy cakes. I use 1 tbsp of oil instead of the 1/3 cup that it calls for. This makes for a denser cake which will be easier to carve. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%