Can't Make Black Icing Black Enough

Baking By KerrieD Updated 21 May 2010 , 5:32pm by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

KerrieD Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:48am
post #1 of 10

I'm trying to make black icing and seem to keep adding Black Americolor gel but its only a very dark gray. (I started with chocolate buttercream)
In the past, I used Wiltons and used alot which then left a chemical/burnt taste so I guess I'm afraid of the same thing happening.
I'm using about 2 cups of the chocolate buttercream. How much color would it require...5 drops...half a bottle...or just till its "black"?
(Red is another tough color to achieve)

9 replies
Ursula40 Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:52am
post #2 of 10

Let it sit overnight, it darkens

Chasey Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:54am
post #3 of 10

When I did my son's birthday cake in a black and white checkered flag, I did the same thing as you, starting with chocolate icing. I bought one tube of the Wilton pre made black and mixed it with about 2 cups of the chocolate and ta da! Nice and black with a good chocolately taste.

KHalstead Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 10

I just give it a squirt...........I've NEVER tasted anything chemical or bitter or ANY flavor at all from americolor gels and I've painted on cakes and cookies with gobs of it straight out of the bottle and there is NO flavor!

hynest Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 10

To make black I use wilton gels. Equal amounts of red, blue and green. I did this to color white fondant (mmf) black. It's in my pics (bee hive) - Works great! icon_smile.gif

KerrieD Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 10

Ursula40 - I purposely made it last night thinking the color would intensify and it was still dark gray. This morning I added a little more black color and I'm letting it sit until tonight when I'm ready to use it. I'll see if it got any darker. Hmmm we're thinking alike! icon_smile.gif

Chasey - I'm going to Michaels now and I'll pick up the Wilton black icing...just in case!

KHalstead - That's what I wanted to hear...No Taste! It says right on the Wilton bottle that using too much will give it an "aftertaste" (Not sure of their exact wording)

hynest - Good to know that "recipe" starting from white.

kanwal Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 10

You could try using a ready made dark chocolate/fudge frosting and add black colour to it.

tcakes65 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 10

I suggest coloring the icing in smaller batches. I start with white icing and add the Americolor black to icing in a small bowl. It does take more black than other colors to achieve the desired color. However, I get the perfect black when coloring in smaller portions.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 10

I add blue to my black and it really helps getting a truer black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%