Everything That Could Go Wrong, Did.

Decorating By selfconclusion12 Updated 22 May 2010 , 1:45am by JanH

selfconclusion12 Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:27am
post #1 of 77

This cake was terrible. I want to hide under my bed and not even deliver it, but you know, thats not realistic. Its due tomorrow around 3pm so I really don't have time to do a new one.

Its a 10in, 8in, and 6in. White cake, raspberry filling, and buttercream. She is going to pay me $95 for this cake.

I don't know what to do. I spent some of my rent money to do this cake, and it turned out awful so DH says we can't just give it to her. I have no idea how to fix it and I am worried if I try to fix it, it will make it worse.

The coral keeps breaking and just looks bad IMO, the buttercream WAS smooth, til I assembled the cake. Then when I put the pearls and shells and everything else on the buttercream just looks awful now.

I am terrified she is just gonna freak out and tell me its awful.

My buttercream was a nightmare. It turned out as a custard and I have no idea why. I let it sit and added more powdered sugar, and then it was more like buttercream but not light and fluffy. Still tastes good though. The cake and filling are great though, its really just the appearance.

Its not that bluish color. Its off white. My camera just stinks.

Top of the cake is plain because she has a topper to put there.

76 replies
selfconclusion12 Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:27am
post #2 of 77

selfconclusion12 Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:29am
post #3 of 77

kermitncupcake Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:16am
post #4 of 77

Maybe call her, and get her to come over tonight?? Ask her if shes ok with it looking the way it does, and if shes not, refund her money or offer to remake it and pull an all nighter (I know, its still pushing it.)
Honestly, If Id gotten a call from you and youd explained that for some reason it just hadnt worked, and I came over to see it, for $95.00, Id take it and face the best side to the roomicon_smile.gif

noahsmummy Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:53am
post #5 of 77

i honestly dont think its that bad! some of the coral is a bit off, but do you maybe have time to do more coral and replace that? still, the coral isnt that bad either.

we are our own worst critics. every cake i do i make my mum come over and check, or post photos on facebook and ring her right away to tell me if its ok... because to me.. its just HORRIBLE! i hate everything i do because it nevers turns out as perfect as it looks in my head.. but every body still loves the cakes i do and ask me to make more..

so just remember that... you are your own worst critic! keep your chin because it think youve done great. =)

i personally wouldnt say anything, and just give her the cake, if she doesnt like it, she will say something. what did you DH say about it?

cindy531 Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:00am
post #6 of 77

I think she is getting a great deal for $95.00. It looks nice to me!

lecie Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:02am
post #7 of 77

If you call her and tell a bride this she will freak out. Just call her and email her a picture of the cake and said I wanted you to see how the cake looks before the big day. Don't say anything else until she does. I think it looks great and and you still have time to fix the coral or just leave it alone. Plus noahsmummy is right we are our biggest critic, good luck

Ursula40 Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:34am
post #8 of 77

At 95 $ i can't believe that you're making any money off it at all, if you pay yourself anything at all. No way could I even justify selling a 3 tier cake for that, ok, ingredients are more expensive here to start with, but seriously, they can't be that cheap in the States?

noahsmummy Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:39am
post #9 of 77

lol i was thinkinjg the same thing ursula! ingredients are a bit more expensive here in aus too.. but i think you could have gotten much more than $95!

KHalstead Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:58am
post #10 of 77

wow, even I would have charged about double that!

I think the cake looks wonderful, if you've got it in you.... maybe make some extra coral pieces to replace ones that look like they broke, but as far as the smooth icing goes....I love the rougher texture on icing on beach themed cakes....reminds me of the ripples in the water. I've seen TONS of cakes done like that on purpose and I love the look!

artscallion Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 77

I would not contact the bride at all. The last thing she needs is to stress about this for the day before her wedding. That's your job. Unfortunately, in your case, not a well paid one.

Instead, take that day and fix it. you can do a lot in the hours you have left. Leave the frosting alone. As KHalstead said, the roughness can look intentional. Maybe you can throw some brown sugar or sanding sugar at it to accentuate the rough sandy-like look of it. Then make some new coral.

My wedding cake was a wreck (not that yours is) and I didn't see it until I walked into the reception. At that point there was nothing I could do so I instantly let it go and moved on to have a good time. If I had been called the day before, it would have ruined my whole wedding day.

dreamcakesmom Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 77

My screen is cutting off the right side of your post but I see another poster wrote you only charged $95. Do you cakes frequently? If so you may really want to look at how you are pricing, for a cake like this with htis many servings I would charge @$250. OR is this a new venture and you charged so little because of not having as much experience?
I think the cake looks passable. Khalstead is on the money, make the buttercream look a little wavy, I was thinking sort of like the texture of sand which will hide the imperfectins. If you have some more coral try to replace a couple of the pieces that are not the best and if you are truly not happy with it, deliver it, see how she responds and offer a coupon for a future cake, if it was not the quality of cake you committed to

leah_s Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:22pm
post #13 of 77

I'd definitely add some sanding sugar or edible glitter. That stuff can improve the looks of everything.

love2makecakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #14 of 77

I agree with the ones who said not to call the bride, you would basically be pointing out to her things she may not even notice in the first place. We are all our own worst critics! Yes the icing could look intentional, no need to explain to anyone that it was suppose to look perfectly smooth. I think if you can make up some new coral to replace the pieces that look a little off will help you feel better about the cake. When she adds a topper it will look different too.

I know how it is to stress over cake! For $95 you are adding way too much of that especially since you already basically worked for free.

Try not to be so hard on yourself and when you deliver the cake, set that baby up like you own it! Keep your chin up!

selfconclusion12 Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #15 of 77

I don't do cakes often for people at all so $95 was more than I spent. She even had someone send me edible pearls and gumpaste shells to. But thats my fault not hers. She said shes on a really tight budget and can't pay much so I said $95. I ended up passing out last night and woke up this morning, and I guess the cake grew on me. DH came home and said it looks nicer in person to, so if we does not like it when I drop it off, I will offer her to pay me $50 to atleast cover the cake ingredients and if she HATES it, obviously free.

Thanks everyone, you actually made me feel better about it!

leah_s Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:42pm
post #16 of 77

for the record, I would have gotten $375 for that style of cake, so $95 is a very good deal. I would not offer any kind of discount.

selfconclusion12 Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:44pm
post #17 of 77

Even if she hates it? Honestly, if she hates it what should I do? I feel it could look better, so I feel bad about it.

Thanks so much!

love2makecakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:02pm
post #18 of 77

Im sort of getting this vision of you taking the cake in, the bride comes over to see her cake as she is looking at it you blurt out... "OH, IF YOU DONT LIKE THE CAKE I WILL GIVE YOU ALL YOUR MONEY BACK!"

Like I said before, she may love it, it may be exactly what she was expecting. You never know. I would make sure you seem confident about the cake. If you want to be a serious cake maker then you need to be proud of the work you do. We all can't wake up one day and be one of the famous cake decorators on the Food Network. It takes tons of practice to perfect a technique and fine tune talent.

icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

selfconclusion12 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:05pm
post #19 of 77

Thanks very much! She did call to tell me what time to be there, and I was gonna tell her I would give her her money back but then I thought what if she likes it and just wants to be cheap? So I didn't and just acted confidant about it. Is it possible for a cake to look better overnight? Because it does.

jadak Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #20 of 77

I think your cake is neat. It is a little rough, but, like others said, that adds to the design in this case. The shells look good and the board looks nice. I think it's a steal for $95. Please update us after delivery.

noahsmummy Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:08pm
post #21 of 77

lovetomakecakes, your exactly right!
ive got along way to go, personally i think a three year old could do better than a lot of my cakes at the moment... lol.. but practice makes perfect, and the more experience you can get, the more "learning curves" you ride, the better your work will get.

lol, only 5 months ago i was of the opinion i could make fondant figures using fondant made from scratch (which i had never made before) and without using anything to turn it into gumpaste. to make them stiffen.. i froze them. hahahaha. bring them out and put them on the cake on a muggy summer day.. annnnd they melted. haha.
well, now i know , thats just not the way things work! lol.

anyway, from every negative situation, we can always find a positive and a way to learn from it. =)

im sure you will be fine!!!!!

love2makecakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #22 of 77

ha! well for me anything at 3am would start to look a little off, hehe.

also the flash from pictures can add tons of little valleys and shadows on cakes, the pictures may not do it justice and with that being said i still do not think it would classify as a cake disaster.

im proud of you! now when you deliver keep a smile plastered on your face and be proud of you yourself!

selfconclusion12 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:16pm
post #23 of 77

I am going to take a picture now with the flash off and let me know if you think it looks better than the others, if thats okay?

selfconclusion12 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:19pm
post #24 of 77

jadak Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #25 of 77

That is a better picture and I really think the cake looks good. I am glad you like it more after a night's sleep. I'll bet your customer will be very happy with their cake.

prterrell Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #26 of 77

I'm just curious as to why you didn't make a new batch of buttercream instead of using the batch that wasn't right?

cakesbycathy Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #27 of 77

DO NOT
DO NOT
DO NOT
offer any sort of discount, refund or coupon towards a future purpose
unless the bride comes back later and complains and then you can decide what to do.

And if she does complain give her some prices of what other bakeries would have charged her.
Just because someone is on a budget does not mean you need to meet their budget. Using your rent money to make the cake icon_confused.gif

catlharper Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #28 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'd definitely add some sanding sugar or edible glitter. That stuff can improve the looks of everything.

Leah, great minds think alike! I was just thinking of posting that when I saw your post...it would make it look like shimming sand and fit right in!

BTW I think the cake is lovely and she is getting a screamin deal at $95

karenm0712 Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #29 of 77

I think that the cake looks fine. It isn't perfect, but then again, what cake is?! You could add some finely crushed graham crackers or brown sugar for sand that would hide a little of the roughness of the BC, but honestly it's not as bad as you think!!

Also, only $95? She is getting a steal, you should have defitnitely charged more!

Karen421 Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:19pm
post #30 of 77

I think your cake looks fine! As stated before, it gives that "beach" effect. I am sure she will love it!!

If I can, I will attach a website of a beach cake that probably should have been modified slightly before it was delivered.

http://www.uglyweddingcake.com/index.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%