Your Opinion On A Pricing Q...quick Response Needed!

Baking By CharmingChelsea Updated 22 May 2010 , 5:28pm by cakesbycathy

CharmingChelsea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingChelsea Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:18am
post #1 of 6

For those of you who charge additionally for packaging, I have a question.

On my pricing sheet, I have it listed that it is an additional .15c per cookie to have them bagged in treat bags. I have it also listed that it is an additional .50c for treat bags that are tied with ribbon (not .15c+.50c)

Does this sound reasonable?

I ask because I have a customer who wants 60 cookies wrapped and tied with ribbon and I am about to send her an invoice by tomorrow morning. She is definitely a client who knows the value of my work, but I don't want her to think the ribbon thing is unreasonable......

5 replies
Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:28am
post #2 of 6

I dont think it is. I've seen other cookiers who charge, say $2 for an unpackaged cookie and $2.50 for a cookie bagged and tied with a ribbon. I've definitely seen people who charge 50 cents more for a packaged cookie.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:03am
post #3 of 6

personally i think it's to low, but i may have a higher price per hour for my labor than you do.

Does your price only take into consideration the supplies to package? If so, make sure you add in some more $ for the labor to package all of the cookies.

CharmingChelsea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingChelsea Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies!

I stuck with the original price. It may well be lower than some would charge, but I am in an area right now where high end cookies aren't exactly what people are looking to spend their money on, so I don't want to go too high either. The main reason I even hesitated was that it was for a friend (who has not asked for any sort of discount) and I just want them to be cute for her daughter no matter how much she is willing to pay.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 6

If it's a friend, then put in what you would charge someone else and then put a line item with her discount. This way she knows she's getting a good deal, Plus if anyone ask her she can tell them what you would charge.

i do this with all of my family and a couple of close friends. I give my normal prices on my invoice, then at the bottom under sub-total I have a "family discount" and then sometimes a line item for a "gift" from me. (like this weekend for a wedding cake i'm doing, i told my cousin what I would charge her per serving, then once the design was finalized I put in my normal prices and then deducted the remainder as a gift from my family)

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 6

I charge an extra 25 cents per cookie for wrapping, whether they want me to tape the bag closed or tie it closed with ribbon. Two different prices seems like "nickle and diming" to me. Just my opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%