What Do You Use?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 21 May 2010 , 3:13pm by JohnnyCakes1966

KayMc Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 9

I made a bunch of flowers this past weekend for the cake I made, and used the Wilton gumpaste cutters. The book that came with this suggested you use cotton balls as 'formers' on which to dry the flowers. I did this, but there were shreds of cotton on the gumpaste when it dried. What do you folks use?

8 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #2 of 9

Hi KayMc! Almost all of the sugar paste flowers I make are wired, so I hand shape, curl, bend, twist... the petals and flowers and dry them upside down. Sometimes I hold the flower near a fan to help it set up. (I do this especially with roses where I have added either 5 or 7 petals at a time.) I also have used the styrofoam flower formers, as well as Wilton's plastic arches which work very nicely with leaves. icon_wink.gif

Montrealconfections Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 9

I fill a container with granulated sugar and place the flowers in that to dry.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 9

All sorts of things....egg cartons, aluminum foil, shot glasses, cotton, paper towels/napkins.

mamawrobin Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #5 of 9
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

All sorts of things....egg cartons, aluminum foil, shot glasses, cotton, paper towels/napkins.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif I really like the egg cartons. I buy the 2 1/2 dozen carton of eggs and you can form so many small flowers at one time with those suckers.

Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:17am
post #6 of 9

I have a section of the egg crate bed foam that I use - I also will bunch up foil, or the walmart bags if I don't want it to be "uniform".

egensinnig Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:25am
post #7 of 9

I use bubbel wrap in different sizes and egg cartons that I cover with plastic wrap. And also small petit four or candy liners

MommaDukes Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:53am
post #8 of 9

I had the same problem when I made a ruffled edge hat, I too use egg cartons, crumpled up tin foil. For fondant and gum paste bows I use a plastic hair curler, I get beautiful round high loops. Use plastic or the sponge ones

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 9

Also mini cupcake pans are great. The thing I like about egg cartons (I also cover these with Saran Wrap...can't be too careful....and you can use the same wrap again) and cupcake pans is, it's something you don't have to buy specifically for shaping. You already have these things and can use them over and over. Plus, you're recycling the egg cartons. thumbs_up.gif Plus, you get 12-24 "shapers" for basically no $$, whereas buying shapers (especially for lilies) will cost you $2-3 PER.

Quote by @%username% on %date%