Cake Settling Question

Decorating By KayMc Updated 21 May 2010 , 12:30pm by leah_s

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:19am
post #1 of 5

I have only decorated two cakes so far, and both have had a thin layer of filling between the layers. I've used a stiff BC dam, and haven't yet had a bulge problem.

I'm going to be using a thicker layer of filling, so I need to know: after I put the dam on, and then the filling, I've read that I'm to let it settle for a minimum of 3 hrs. Does that mean NOT to put on the crumb coat? I hate having naked cake, as I'm afraid of drying out.

4 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 5

Go ahead and crumbcoat, it shouldn't interfere with the settling process. Any cracking or whatever in the crumbcoat would be covered up.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 5

I fill and then cover with plastic wrap. I crumbcoat when I'm ready to ice my cake.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:01am
post #4 of 5

I crumb coat the sides and let it sit. If it buldges it will still push out the crumb coat and I can smooth it out before final icing.

I don't crumb coat the top because I use parchment paper to line all of my pans, so there is a piece of parchment paper on the top of the cake to prevent any drying. If you don't use anything in your pan, then i would suggest to crumbcoat the top too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%