Cake Settling Question

Decorating By KayMc Updated 21 May 2010 , 12:30pm by leah_s

KayMc Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:19am
post #1 of 5

I have only decorated two cakes so far, and both have had a thin layer of filling between the layers. I've used a stiff BC dam, and haven't yet had a bulge problem.

I'm going to be using a thicker layer of filling, so I need to know: after I put the dam on, and then the filling, I've read that I'm to let it settle for a minimum of 3 hrs. Does that mean NOT to put on the crumb coat? I hate having naked cake, as I'm afraid of drying out.

4 replies
denetteb Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 5

Go ahead and crumbcoat, it shouldn't interfere with the settling process. Any cracking or whatever in the crumbcoat would be covered up.

mamawrobin Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 5

I fill and then cover with plastic wrap. I crumbcoat when I'm ready to ice my cake.

leily Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:01am
post #4 of 5

I crumb coat the sides and let it sit. If it buldges it will still push out the crumb coat and I can smooth it out before final icing.

I don't crumb coat the top because I use parchment paper to line all of my pans, so there is a piece of parchment paper on the top of the cake to prevent any drying. If you don't use anything in your pan, then i would suggest to crumbcoat the top too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%