Question About Filling And Dams

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 25 May 2010 , 1:23am by Darthburn

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 14

Ok, so Im making a WASC with bavarian cream filling and a cream cheese icing.

I was wondering how everyone does their dam? Do you use RI? I know most have used BC, but I'm using cream cheese which doesn't harden as much as BC. Any suggestions?

I know not to make the layer too heavy, I just want to ensure my cakes don't slide or squish... but I want there to be enough filling too.

Thanks everyone!

13 replies
DamarisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamarisC Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 14

Hello! I use Sugar Shack's suggestion of stiffening my bc with lots of powdered sugar, i guess in this case your Cream cheese..

Take enough of your icing to make a dam, then make it stiff enough to form with your hand by adding powdered sugar. put it in a piping bag with just the coupler and pipe a very stiff dam.

I use WASC for almost all my cakes, and lots of different filings, even slippery ones, i never have gone wrong with the stiff dam.( except for when i did the tapered cake! all my other cakes have come out good) fill your cake. put the other cake on top, then wait at least 3 hours for your cake to settle. HTH

Darthburn Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:03am
post #3 of 14

Thank you thank you thank you sooooo much! Makes perfect sense and I'm going to try it!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:07am
post #4 of 14

I make some of the icing really stiff and then don't even bother using it in a bag, I roll it with my hands into a rope for the dam - works just fine, and I am not killing my hands trying to push it out of the bag!

DamarisC Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:26am
post #5 of 14

LOL! i never thought of just rolling it with my hand! it WOULD help with pressure piping, cause it does take some real hand muscle to pipe it out : ) the only thing is that I am not good at consistency, keeping the rope all one size by rolling by hand, but i guess it would just take practice : )

Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #6 of 14

I just eye ball it to get it close to the same size - works just fine! thumbs_up.gif

Darthburn Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 14

I more than appreciate the help. Today's the day... gonna give it a whirl!

Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 14

Good luck! Let us know how it all works out for you! icon_smile.gif

Darthburn Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 14

Ok, I just finished filling and everything, so I'm reporting back! icon_smile.gif

Here are a couple of replies I thought of using:

That worked DAM good!

DAM that was awesome!

That was some DAM suggestion!

Lol - I'm sure there are many more you all can come up with, but the long and short of it... it really did work great!

I did thicken the icing, I used a disposable piping bag and just cut the tip off to pipe (My big 'ol man mitts aren't good about rolling a bead either). I piped in a border, put in my filling, added top cake and gave it a firm press.

I did something a little extra, I went back around the middle of the 2 cakes with another bead of stiff icing and then pressed it in nice and solid and flat. So that should give me a second gluing effect I hope (like calking a crack. Also it helped fill out the dip I always get in the middle of the 2 cakes!

You all are too awesome! Thank you again!

Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 14

That made me laugh outloud!! icon_lol.gif

I always "spackle" those cracks too, if I have them. Never have had a buldging cake since I have used this metod. thumbs_up.gif

Dam we're good! icon_biggrin.gif

Darthburn Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 14

Oh oH OH oh OH!!! Here it is!!! My DAM cake!!!

Thank you so much... the cake traveled an hour + in another persons vehicle to it's destination and arrived in perfect condition!

No buldges, no slides, no nothing!! It was perfect!

I appreciate the help sooooo much!

Here's a picture for you all:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1685415

DamarisC Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:10am
post #12 of 14

you are awesome!!! I am going to do an asian inspired cake in a couple of months with this theme! colors a little different but same concept, i am happy you got it there in perfect condition.

BTW, i see you are in Bpatch, so am i icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #13 of 14

Perfect!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Darthburn Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #14 of 14

Bako town! LoL... I always say "you can throw a rock in Bakersfield and you'll end up hitting someone you know". The same goes for anytime you're out of town... anywhere... no matter how far.... you throw a rock and you'll hit someone from Bakersfield. And now it seems it just might start applying to the internet! icon_smile.gif haha!

I really had a blast doing this cake. It's been such a long time since my last cake cause the last cake ended a mess. So I needed this.

Thank you for the support! icon_smile.gif Good luck on your cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%