Making Vs Buying Buttercream

Business By jonicca Updated 26 May 2010 , 5:15am by nancyg

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 40

For those of you who are licensed, do you prefer to make your own buttercream or buy tubs of it? I was just reading a post on Sam's Club buttercream and just wanted to know the professionals opinion on the matter. Thanks!

39 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 40

I totally buy mine.. lol.. I use it as a base and flavor it to whatever flavor... I'm a big fan of saving time! And the one I buy is way yummier than anything I could whip up!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 40

Yup, I buy the huge tubs at my local cake store...it's SO yummy. Now I make my own MMF but buttercream and I have a love/hate relationship so I'd much rather buy it.

jonicca Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 40

Thanks for the responses. I'm a little torn because I bake from scratch and it seems like it would "cheapen" the cake to use pre-made icing. But I really can't stand using shortening in icing, which is what I've been doing.

Meowcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meowcakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 40

I make real buttercream. I make SMBC. Shortening based frosting is NOT buttercream any more then a fried cube steak is the same as fried chicken.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 40

I teach at the local Middle School and High School and when I teach, I buy the Sam's buttercream. The kids love it and it IS cheap.

I am not a fan of it, however, and I prefer to make my own when I bake for other people. Usually IMBC, but even a simple home-made butter and Powdered sugar and vanilla icing tastes and smells better to me.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 40

I make my own with real butter. Nothing you buy is going to have butter in it.

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 40

I prefer to mix it with my own frosting. I ratio it 1 to 3 Cups. 1 cup of my homemade buttercream to 3 Cups of Sams. Its much better that way and I like the consistency better.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 40

I make my own. And I bake from scratch. I can definitely taste the chemicals in box mixes and bucket butercreme.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 40

We make our own from scracth, as well, with butter. Nothing better.

Paul

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 40

I make my own. I just can't see buying the buttercream from Sam's. If someone wants that buttercream why would they buy a cake from me?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 40

Make it with butter, it tastes better than that chemical goo you get in buckets.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:11am
post #13 of 40

I love the chemical goo.. lol...

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I make my own. I just can't see buying the buttercream from Sam's. If someone wants that buttercream why would they buy a cake from me?

Exactly. If I'm using their ingredients, why not just go to them? They can charge less than me. I prefer scratch cakes made from home with love.

costumeczar Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #15 of 40

[quote="Rose_N_Crantz I prefer scratch cakes made from home with love.[/quote]

And butter.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:54am
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

[quote="Rose_N_Crantz I prefer scratch cakes made from home with love.

And butter.[/quote]

Lots of butter!!! thumbs_up.gif

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #17 of 40

I prefer to make my own using butter but I will have to find a recipe that stands up to the heat outside for the farmers market. I will likely switch to one using crisco : /

costumeczar Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

[quote="Rose_N_Crantz I prefer scratch cakes made from home with love.

And butter.

Lots of butter!!! thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

Hahaha, I don't care if the icing is made with bitter anger, just as long as it has butter in it! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #19 of 40

it tastes like play doh to me.....i make my own....50/50 butter to shortening...the customers love it.
i make over 100 pounds every week....it's not that hard.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:24am
post #20 of 40

I make my own - all of them.....IMBC, american buttercream and IMBC that has shortning in it too.

The most popular with my clients is the all shortning susgarshack recipe. DH's favorite is the IMBC.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:36am
post #21 of 40

yeah.... I also think...if what I offer can be bought at Sam's... then why bother?

everything I make from scratch because I want to offer the best I can give a client... I make my own fillings... BC... MMF... gumpaste... patillage... lol... I can keep going....

and like leah said... anything store bought.....I can taste all the chemicals and it's pure shortening with some color in it.... IMO!

dalis4joe Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:39am
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I make my own - all of them.....IMBC, american buttercream and IMBC that has shortning in it too.

The most popular with my clients is the all shortning susgarshack recipe. DH's favorite is the IMBC.

YEAH!!! and my favorite too.... it's super yummy!! that flavor is so unique... I can sit there and just smell it for hours lol

jonicca Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #23 of 40

You guys are so funny! Thanks for all the responses. I think its time for me to try IMBC and SMBC. I've been using a cross between indydebi's, sugarshack's, and my own, but it still has sweetex in it and I just cringe at the thought of my children (or anyone else) eating spoonfuls of shortening. Though everyone who's tried it has loved it, I still feel like I have a dirty little secret. LOL! Can anyone recommend a good IMBC or SMBC recipe?

dalis4joe Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonicca

You guys are so funny! Thanks for all the responses. I think its time for me to try IMBC and SMBC. I've been using a cross between indydebi's, sugarshack's, and my own, but it still has sweetex in it and I just cringe at the thought of my children (or anyone else) eating spoonfuls of shortening. Though everyone who's tried it has loved it, I still feel like I have a dirty little secret. LOL! Can anyone recommend a good IMBC or SMBC recipe?

I did make the SMBC for the first time 2 weeks ago.... and you can tell the difference for sure... the SMBC is soooo nice it's like.. when yo put it in your mouth...it just melts... it's very very good... but then again.... I just love sugarshacks..... that flavor is just so unique and tasty.... so it's a mental battle lol

good luck

I DO recommend that you try to SMBC... just so you can see the difference and not wonder anymore
I felt the same way about the WASC... everyone here always raves about the wasc... so I decided to try to see what is was and how it was...if better than my signature scratch cake... well... the wasc IS good... but I will not change my scratch recipe for any other recipe... I'm glad I tried it but I won't be changing mine....

icon_smile.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:31pm
post #25 of 40

What kind of recipe do you ladies make that stands up to the heat?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #26 of 40

The only recipe I use when it is hot is sugarshacks......you cannot depend on the IMBC in the heat, even with part shortning....the butter in it just makes it too unstable for a warm environment. I won't risk it. I KNOW sugarshack's recipe will hold up in the heat and humidity....tried and true.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #27 of 40

I make my own! Butter, sugar, creamer, a little hot water and vanilla. The reason I use real butter is I always hated icing! It stuck to the roof of my mouth and I thought it was nasty. I would always scrape off icing from cakes from bakeries or "professional" cakes.

So while I live in one of the hottest most humid areas of the country, I still only use butter. It tastes better, feels better in your mouth, etc. Just my own little weird thing! icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:16pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise

So while I live in one of the hottest most humid areas of the country, I still only use butter. It tastes better, feels better in your mouth, etc. Just my own little weird thing! icon_wink.gif

Not weird at all, it just shows that you have tastebuds that work! thumbs_up.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:18pm
post #29 of 40

Denise---You're not weird at all....We use 100% butter here in central Florida, too! I'm from up north and we always kept our butter out on the counter up to 80 degrees...So as long as the event is indoors, we're good to go.

Paul

Sweet_Guys Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:19pm
post #30 of 40

Now, on another note, speaking of chemicals, Peter and I had a junk food craving last night for some unknown reason...We got a couple of store-bought goodies just for the heck of it...OMG...I guess my tastebuds are super sensitive to garbage because I could taste everything and it wasn't necessarily good tasting.

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%