Need Help With Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By banjomom Updated 21 May 2010 , 2:12am by cheatize

banjomom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banjomom Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 7

This is a really stupid problem, but I can't seem to figure it out, so I thought I'd ask for help. I've been trying to make fondant flowers, just simple plain flowers like these:

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Fondant-Blossom-Flowers

Here's my problem: every time I roll my fondant (MMF) out and cut out the flowers, I can't get them up off the surface without their becoming distorted and losing their shape because the fondant doesn't come up off the surface easily. I've tried sprinkling powdered sugar on the counter and greasing it with shortening, but I can't seem to get it to work.

What am I doing wrong? Does the Wilton no-stick rolling mat really work? Do I need to get that? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong? I'm (obviously) a bit of a beginner, but I have used marshmallow fondant before for other things -- just can't seem to do cut-outs with it.

Thanks for any help,
Anita

6 replies
Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 7

I use MMF too and I bought the Wilton rolling mat and it has helped me! My stuff was sticking to the counter too! I put a tiny bit of shortening on the mat surface when I roll it out and it seems to come off fine. Also, I use a cookie spatula if it's a bigger piece.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 7

I use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gum-paste for a lot of things like that. The gum-paste makes it less stretchy. I also make it a little stiffer (I don't know if that is even a word!) and use a very thin spatula to lift them up. Hope this helps!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 7

Put a bit of shortening on your hands and knead it into a bit of fondant. As you roll it out lift and rotate it every couple of rolls. Make sure it is not sticking to the counter before you cut out the flowers. I usually just do this on the counter and have no problem with the fondant sticking. If they are sticking a bit place a spatula flat on the counter and drag it under the blossoms. If it is sticking a lot reroll using a bit of PS on the counter. You can also use a plastic cutting board to roll small pieces of fondant on.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 7

You can try dusting with cornstarch. It seems to be better at things like that. Then, when you press the cutter down, shift it around on the surface to make sure the cut is clean and that the fondant is free to move on the your counter, while maintaining its shape in the cutter.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 7

I agree, before using your cutter make sure you can move the piece of fondant around on the surface you are using. I bought some of the plastic cutting mats (really thin flexable plastic about 10x12 inches) to roll my small pieces out on and once I roll out the fondant, if I can easily pick the fondant up and turn it then I know that when I use a cutter the piece will come right off the board.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:12am
post #7 of 7

Peel off the fondant from around the shape and then let the shape dry out a bit before you remove it from the mat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%