Blow Outs!!!!

Decorating By Jennerlynner Updated 21 May 2010 , 3:33pm by Jennerlynner

Jennerlynner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennerlynner Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 5

I have been a hobby baker for about 2 1/2 years. No training, just figuring it out as I go. I have improved many of my basic skills and usually get a clean product if I don't rush it to much.

But no matter what I try (different frosting and cake recipies, different techniques for mixing and appling BC and Fondant) at least half of my cakes get a blow out. It happens many hours after it is decorated, everything was good then I notice a large bubble usually on the side of my cake (occasionally on the top). I have them under fondant and buttercream. I let the air out, seal the hole, and smooth as best I can, but they seem to continue coming out and not always in the same place.

I enjoy caking it is my creative outlit and hope to someday go pro. But I can not ever see that happening with mysterious bulges developing all the time.

Any help would be appreciated. Also I live in hot and humid Florida and have heard mentioned that this might be a factor. If so, how can I combat that?
Thank You icon_sad.gif

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 5

Are you letting your cake settle? If not I recommend this thread. It's mostly about the bulge, but It seems to help with bubbles also.

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 5

I have had this happen when I have had the cake in the fridge - I think it has a lot to do with the 'difference' in temperature as I've heard many people say they refrigerate all their cakes without a problem.

Hot & Humid here too - I've taken a cake out and thought I had given it sufficient time to reach room temp - BUT the fondant blow-out told me differently ( the inside must still have been COLD)

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 5

i like to use cake spackle for extra stability. i'm not sure if that will help with blow outs, but i imagine it would.

Jennerlynner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennerlynner Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 5

I do not freeze or refigerate my cakes. I try to bake and cool, then wrap and let sit overnight to firm. Then I use buttercream and then fondant if needed. The cakes are sometimes a moist but I thought that was a good thing. I do let them sit exposed to air for about 15 min after I cut them to help with moisture. How dry does it need to be? The probelm seems to be under the buttercream since it happens with or without fondant. It makes sense that it could be moisture from the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%