Quick Dummy Question...no Pun Intended

Decorating By Kel1222 Updated 20 May 2010 , 8:40pm by BlakesCakes

Kel1222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kel1222 Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 7

I have practiced with dummies but never actually taken one anywhere. How can I adhere a dummy to a board without gunking or messing it up for future use?

6 replies
Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 7

Is it something that will be in place for a while and on display? or are you planning on dismantleing it and using it again?

Kel1222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kel1222 Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 7

I will be on display for an evening, but I was hoping to use it again.

Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 7

I've used them, but like you, never traveled with them. I would think maybe a couple spots of BC would keep it in place. You'll also have the border to help hod it there too..... When you're ready to take it apart, the BC will wash off...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 7

the bakery I used to work in we had hollow dummies, so we used straight pins (like for sewing) and stuck them up from the bottom of the board and into the dummy, worked well for us.

I have solid ones here at home and I just use a dot of buttercream underneath.

However this one here I used some non-slip mat (like the shelf liner) between the bottom fake tier and the plate i had it set on. With the weight of the other cake on top i didn't have any issues traveling with it.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1397584

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 7

I cover all my dummy cakes with press and seal.... so if I want to reuse them... I can just peel off the fondant or BC and re-use...

to attach the tiers together.... RI... leah or debi told me about that and it works perfect....

hth

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 7

I like to stick dummies together and to boards with royal. It hold very nicely.

You can wash anything off of a styrofoam dummy with hot water and a bit of Dawn dishwashing detergent.

If you use crisco to adhere the fondant (I LOVE it because it also fills in small imperfections in the dummy), if it fits in the dishwasher on the top rack, great (no detergent and air dry), if not, in hot water in the sink or a plastic tub until the icing is off and then a wash and rinse with the Dawn.

Let stand to dry for a few days before re-using.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%