Cake Board... Oh Oh... Michael Is Out?

Decorating By Cranny Updated 25 May 2010 , 4:00pm by tonedna

Cranny Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 15

My local Michaels & Hobby lobby are both out of the 10" cake boards. I was going to stop after work to pick some up for this cake I've been struggling with.... they are OUT!!

Can I use regular card board? Should I maybe wrap the card board in tinfoil? wax paper? This will be used to the 10" cake so I can stack on the 12"...with support of course...

Any other suggestions?? I'm tellin' ya - this cake is gonna get the best of me!!! First all the sticking to the pan.... now this.... icon_mad.gif

14 replies
Ocean23 Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 15

is there a bulk barn close by? They sell them if you are located in canada

ttehan4 Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 15

Use a larger circle and cut it down.

Mikel79 Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 15

Glue some cake circles together and wrap in foil or decorative food safe covering.

=)

MrsAB Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 15

Cranny, I am sorry to hear about your troubles. We all have had one of those days. Hang in there. As for the cake boards/circles (thin cardboard) have you tried your local Walmart? My Walmart has a Wilton section and carries cake boards/circles and cake drums (thick & already covered; usually silver). Depending on which you are looking for, you can also use foam core board as a substitute for cake drums.

Best Wishes! HTH!

tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 15

You can use foamcore and cut it to size.

FACSlady Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 15

Party City and I Party have them if you're close to one of those. Otherwise, you can get some foamcore from Michael's and cut a 10 inch board. Also, look in their painting canvas area and see if there's something the right size and shape.

pattycakes55d Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 15

I actually went to my grocery store bakery department and asked them. they always have boards - you may have to cut it down. Another time when I was desperate I went to an actual bakery. Worth a try. Good luck!

tonedna Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 15

When I am out of the thick cardboards I glue 3 or 4 of them together and cover the board with fanci foil.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Cranny Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks for the suggestions! I have some 8" at home - but of course that won't help.... I may run up Kroger and see if they have one in their bakery. If you've read my other post about my cake falling apart, you'll already know that I'm a day behind on this thing...

I will have to remember to post a picture of this 'cursed-cake' when I'm done!! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 15

You can use foam core too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

Isn't that what I said?

Cranny Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 15

O M G!!! Sometimes venting around the office works wonders!!!

I was just explaing to my friend the problems I'm having with this cake sticking and now the cakeboards... she has some left over from when she bought some for her wedding cake a year ago....6" 10" 12" and a few 14"..... she's on the way to get them for me.... she's going to give them ALL to me!!! Now she say's I'll just owe her a cake in return.... icon_biggrin.gif

Crisis averted!! I can go straight home and continue with this cake!!

lovely_me Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

Isn't that what I said?

Maybe she didnt see that?

tonedna Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #15 of 15