Cleaning Silpat

Decorating By farleyv Updated 28 May 2010 , 3:11pm by MaryAllison

farleyv Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 7

I don't know if this is the right forum, but here goes. Why is it so difficult to get my silpats clean? I wash in hot, soapy water and still the shadows of the cookies I just baked are still there. They even tend to smear when I rub it with my finger.

I have gotten them clean once or twice. It just seems something is not right here. I mean, hot, soapy water, right in my dishpan. icon_cry.gif

They never look clean, but how can they not be? UGH! icon_sad.gif

6 replies
Loucinda Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 7

My sister gave me some of hers a few years ago, which were not in good shape IMO....I used a paste of baking soda to "scrub" them and that seemed to do the job.

linstead Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 7

Don't know how to clean up your SilPat but I use parchment paper to bake cookies with - clean up is in the trash bag!

farleyv Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 7

I was using parchment, but my DH bought me 2 mats for my birthday. I can't not use them, he is such a great guy. And I do love them. Its just the buttery residue that seems hard to get off.

Probably another washing will do the trick, but I thought these made your life simplier!!

ptanyer Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 7

I use my silpats to roll out my fondant and gumpaste when working on my design pieces. The mat stays in one place on the table and it's really easy to keep it in place while rolling it out and cutting out the designs. I could never do without it icon_smile.gif

neecerator Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 7

Hello Friends:
This is normal, I think. Here is a link to, which explains it fully. I hope this helps you:

Have a great day.

MaryAllison Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 7

I've always placed mine as flat as possible on the top rack in the dishwasher. So far, so good and I use mine all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%