Painting Fondant

Decorating By insertft Updated 23 May 2010 , 3:35am by roxsbury02

insertft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insertft Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 13

I need to paint some design elements on fondant, can I do it with icing color, I know I can do it with luster but need some colors that I cant get in that, If so, how long does it take to dry, any other tips??

12 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 13

I've used gel colors mixed with water to paint on fondant. Works great. It dries very fast -- it's mostly water after all.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 13

The Yu-Gi-Oh and Naruto in my pics were both done with gel colors (Wilton) thinned with a little Rum (it was the only alcohol I had on hand) at first, then I just used water.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 13

I've used americolor gels right out of the bottle to paint on fondant and it usually takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes before it's completely dry (I really glob on the paint though LOL)
LL
LL

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 13

I use gell colors thinned down with vodka...works great!

roxsbury02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxsbury02 Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:23am
post #6 of 13

Is it possible to ice a cake with regular frosting (crisco/powdered sugar), then use fondant to decorate it? I have done sheets like that before, but now I'm making a snare drum cake and wanted to use fondant to decorate the "metal parts". How would you attach the fondant to the sides of the cake? I was planning on using dowel rods as the drum sticks...thought I could roll fondant around them and then shape up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:26am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I use gell colors thinned down with vodka...works great!

DITTO!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 13

I use wiltons colors (cant get americolor here) thinned with vodka. thats how I paint everything.

Roxsbury, yes, I put fondant accents on BC all the time. and thats a good idea for the drumsticks icon_smile.gif

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 13

I use airbrush colors straight from the bottle....I found that has worked better for me than mixing vodka with anything.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxsbury02

Is it possible to ice a cake with regular frosting (crisco/powdered sugar), then use fondant to decorate it? I have done sheets like that before, but now I'm making a snare drum cake and wanted to use fondant to decorate the "metal parts". How would you attach the fondant to the sides of the cake? I was planning on using dowel rods as the drum sticks...thought I could roll fondant around them and then shape up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, you can absolutely do this. I would wrap the dowels with fondant and make the "metal attachments" that would attach them to a real drum out of fondant as well and then use buttercream to attach them to the cake...sometimes you can just brush the fondant with an extremely small amount of water and it will stick just fine. Go slow and be patient.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:27am
post #11 of 13

I do all of my fondant painting with gel colours mixed with vodka or rum. I paint with luster dust the same way.

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #12 of 13

You can use gel colors mixed thinned with vodka, or a clear extract with a high alcohol content (lemon, almond) for more matte finish you can paint with thinned down royal icing.
Make sure to use a clean nice quality new brush designated exclusively for food painting.

roxsbury02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxsbury02 Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #13 of 13

Thanks all for the help.....it went well. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%