Help With Bulging And Fondant Covered Cakes

Decorating By zgreenwood Updated 20 May 2010 , 5:00pm by stlcakelady

zgreenwood Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 9

I have been having this problem more recently and I don't know how to stop it. Lately when I have been covering my cakes with fondant I have had some bulging issues where the cake is torted. I don't know what I have done differently all of the sudden but its really visible. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
LL

8 replies
mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 9

Let your cake settle BEFORE crumbcoating and covering with fondant.
After you level and torte your cake are you allowing it to settle for 12-24 hours?
You can speed up this "settleing" process by torting, wrapping in plastic wrap and placing something heavy (not too heavy) on top. Some use a ceramic tile or a book.

Also use a buttercream dam to keep your filling from oozing out. I take some of my buttercream icing and add enough powdered sugar to it so that I'm able to roll it in my hands. I build a dam with this thickened icing before adding my filling. This also will help with the buldge

raquel1 Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 9

Two words: Sharon Zambito, her dvds made a world of difference in my cake decorating. She shows you about the bc dam that mamawrobin is talking about and much more, also how to make your fondant super smooth, they are sooo worth the money, I still watch them every so often and am planning on getting a couple more but the buttercream and the fondant one are a must have.

tastyart Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 9

I second the Sharon Zambito DVD, they are great! I also use her techniques.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 9

I LOVE Sharon's DVDs! They have made a huge difference in my cakes too! She talks about having stiff dams and letting the cakes settle (while filled) etc.

minicuppie Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 9

Have you changed pans? If so, check the sides as they may not be straight. If you do notice a curve, just pay extra attention when crumb coating. You may need to trim a bit.

LindaF144a Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Let your cake settle BEFORE crumbcoating and covering with fondant.
After you level and torte your cake are you allowing it to settle for 12-24 hours?
You can speed up this "settleing" process by torting, wrapping in plastic wrap and placing something heavy (not too heavy) on top. Some use a ceramic tile or a book.

Also use a buttercream dam to keep your filling from oozing out. I take some of my buttercream icing and add enough powdered sugar to it so that I'm able to roll it in my hands. I build a dam with this thickened icing before adding my filling. This also will help with the buldge

I agree with this. I used this technique with my Mother's day cake and no bulge! It took a little bit of courage on my part to put a ceramic tile on top of the cake, but it did help.

I didn't do anything different to my SMBC that I used for a dam. When I cut the cake I could see where it was. I also piped it in about 3/8" to 1/2" from the edge to give it room to fill in.

mayo2222 Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 9

If I am in a hurry and don't have time to let the cake settle I normally take my cake lifter and just start pushing down on each layer after I get done filling. Just something to consider if you are in a bind for time

stlcakelady Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 9

I used to have this problem. There are a few things you can try. I usually fill my cakes while they're frozen. When I fill a cake (don't use too much frosting). You can dam the cake first with some buttercream mixed with cake scraps (yes, this works!). Then I put the next layer down and press down very hard to squish out excess frosting. Then I repeat the process. Once filled and crumb coated, I let them sit out for several hours until they settle. Put on another nice coat of frosting, chill and then fondant. Make sure your fondant is evenly rolled out and not too thick. Sometimes if it's too heavy and thick you'll have problems as well. Hope it helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%