Why Add Pudding To Cake?

Baking By LuvLyrics Updated 22 May 2010 , 5:04am by ctinaw

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 15

I've seen a few recipe that have pudding as the ingredient, and I was wondering if the pudding it's added for flavor or to change the texture of the cake? Is it only for cake mixes?

Thanks

14 replies
Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 15

I honestly have no idea why other people do it, but I recently tried adding pudding to a mix and it gave my cake a rather nice texture and it was pretty moist too. The cake was Grand Marnier cake made with a cake mix.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 15

it adds flavor and moistness to the cakes thats why i do it.

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 15

CakesbyMark is right they had moistness to your cakes. I add a box of pudding in all of my cakes. I either use the flavor closest to what I am making or just use vanilla. I think it also makes them a little more dense so they are not a fragile as the typical box cake. I will never go back to not using pudding in my cakes.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 15

It's just for cake mixes. NEVER add to a scratch recipe.

lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 15

I just recently became a pudding convert icon_biggrin.gif I wanted a denser cake but still from a box mix. I add an extra egg and one box of pudding to each box of mix. The cakes bake up higher and have a denser texture as described in other posts. Bonus, my kids and husband love it, and have asked me to never go back to plain cake mix icon_smile.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 15

I do the same thing to..

1 box of instant pudding
1 extra egg
up the oil to 1/2 cup

It's been a hit with my clients.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 15

For extra moistness, Moxey2000 adds pudding mix to the mermaid bakery vanilla butter cake along with extra milk. It is a scratch cake. I've attached the link to the recipe - the addition of the pudding and milk is mentioned in the comments. I'm going to try it next time I need one for work. I love the WASC, but I am trying to get some good scratch recipes that hold up to stacking, etc.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4313/vanilla-butter-cake-from-the-mermaid-bakery

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I happen to have a recipe for a scratch pound cake that calls for a small box of vanilla pudding. It is the most moist, excellent pound cake I have ever had. It made me think twice about adding a box to other scratch recipes. I just have not tested it out, yet.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

For extra moistness, Moxey2000 adds pudding mix to the mermaid bakery vanilla butter cake along with extra milk. It is a scratch cake. I've attached the link to the recipe - the addition of the pudding and milk is mentioned in the comments. I'm going to try it next time I need one for work. I love the WASC, but I am trying to get some good scratch recipes that hold up to stacking, etc.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4313/vanilla-butter-cake-from-the-mermaid-bakery

I am going to try adding a box of pudding to the "A Better Scratch White Cake" recipe. I thought that cake had a great flavor, but was just a little dry and crumbly to me.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you all for your response and to TNT for sharing the link !

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 15

I have never tried pudding but I am.

to your box mixes
add an extra egg to what it calls for
instead of water add whole milk and add 1/4 cup more
and beat beat beat

Cake is moister and rises better

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I happen to have a recipe for a scratch pound cake that calls for a small box of vanilla pudding. It is the most moist, excellent pound cake I have ever had. It made me think twice about adding a box to other scratch recipes. I just have not tested it out, yet.

Okay, well then that recipe was designed for the pudding mix. Scratch recipes are finely balanced. Adding pudding mix to recipes that aren't designed for it result in a gummy cake. I know. I've tried it. Honestly, scratch recipes don't need it in there. If you don't think a scratch recipe is moist, either you've run across a bad recipe (they are out there) or you've messed up somehow.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:03am
post #14 of 15

I use Pillsbury mix for my "starter" box - which already has a full box of pudding in the mix

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:04am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

I do the same thing to..

1 box of instant pudding
1 extra egg
up the oil to 1/2 cup

It's been a hit with my clients.

My mom does exactly the same - she also adds about 1/4 cup or so extra sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%