Cracked Cake - Will Customer Be Able To Tell When Served?

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 20 May 2010 , 1:38pm by KristyCakes

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 5

So silly mistake made a clean break in my 8" round. I torte my cakes, so I've got 2 layers with broken pieces (I'd say about 1/8th of the entire cake). I went ahead and filled the cake (regular buttercream) and have it to settle over the day today. I did alternate sides that I put the cracks on - hoping to not have stability issues - it's the base of a 6", 8" stacked cake. My question is this... when my customer cuts this cake (1"x2"x4 pieces), will they be able to tell that I have cracked this cake, or will it stay together ok? I've never served a cake with broken pieces repaired and don't know if I should just go ahead and re-bake... My gut tells me that it will be ok since it's buttercream and it will kinda glue it together, but figured it should ask since it's a paid order. Thanks in advance for any advice and experience!

4 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 5

i doubt it... ive never been able to tell when cutting a cracked cake... and a lot of my cakes end up cracking.. especially my chocolate cake. a crack doesnt really compromise the taste or outer aesthetics of the cake either, so i really wouldnt stress. =)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 5

you're fine!!! I've had it happen a million times and NO they won't be able to tell one bit!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 5

and honestly does it matter?? you just tell them that is what happens when you have a round that big and you were checking for doneness. PLUS it increases the stability of the cake, you are able to put BC in there and by cross cutting the cake (one layer staggard with break over the other layER) you are making the cake more able to take the pressure of the ones above it by adding in some air cushion..

icon_smile.gif

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 5

Great! I'll go with it! I really appreciate the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%