Need Help With Cake Squares!

Decorating By susanscakecreations Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:02pm by Deehrvy

susanscakecreations Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:40am
post #1 of 8

Hi! I have to do 8 doz. red velvet/cream cheese frosting cake squares for a Memorial Service.
I am not that confident with cake squares. How do you do yours?
Do you frost first, then cut, or do you cut, then frost??? Do you frost all sides, or just the top??????
Help! Please!!
Also, what size do you do yours? 1" like petit fours, or 2"?

Thanks!
Susan

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:54am
post #2 of 8

I've only done them covered with fondant. I bake a rectangle cake, level it and torte it once, fill, then frost the top and put waxed paper over the top, then freeze it until it's hard and cut it into 2" squares. I keep the squares in the freezer and take out a few at a time to cover with fondant. It takes forever...I know I wouldn't have the patience to do 8 doz.

susanscakecreations Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:57am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I've only done them covered with fondant. I bake a rectangle cake, level it and torte it once, fill, then frost the top and put waxed paper over the top, then freeze it until it's hard and cut it into 2" squares. I keep the squares in the freezer and take out a few at a time to cover with fondant. It takes forever...I know I wouldn't have the patience to do 8 doz.

EXACTLY! I know she doesn't want fondant, but should I just ice the top? I think it would be very difficult to ice red velvet on all sides and not have it get into the icing..............

Chasey Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 8

Could you do a poured icing if you want all sides covered? Or could you partially freeze the frosted cake and then slice into squares, wiping your knife clean after each long slice?

I have a question for curiosity's sake since I am not in business....I'm confused! When a customer orders cake squares, they literally mean individually squares of cake and not a sheet cake that has been prescored with measured squares?

Is the expectation to present them like mini cakes, iced on all sides? Do you have them sitting on a liner? Are they boxed like cupcakes would be?

susanscakecreations Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Could you do a poured icing if you want all sides covered? Or could you partially freeze the frosted cake and then slice into squares, wiping your knife clean after each long slice?

I have a question for curiosity's sake since I am not in business....I'm confused! When a customer orders cake squares, they literally mean individually squares of cake and not a sheet cake that has been prescored with measured squares?

Is the expectation to present them like mini cakes, iced on all sides? Do you have them sitting on a liner? Are they boxed like cupcakes would be?

I'm not sure if there is a cream cheese icing that could be poured??? If so, that would be fabulous! I am probably going to freeze the frosted cake, then cut.......And no, the way I have always seen cake squares are not individual cakes, but rather a sheet cake that has been cut........usually transported in a cake box for the customer to put out on their choice of tray or plate.........

Chasey Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 8

Oh, ok, that is what I was hoping for you! icon_smile.gif

If that was the case, I would frost the sheet cake uncut as usual, then lightly score the crusted icing for you to later pipe on borders. Like a giant plaid cake. icon_lol.gif Then the customer can cut their own squares by following the piping. Let them worry about the red velvet crumbs in the cream cheese icing!

Is that do-able or did they want you to physically cut it all the way for them?

susanscakecreations Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Oh, ok, that is what I was hoping for you! icon_smile.gif

If that was the case, I would frost the sheet cake uncut as usual, then lightly score the crusted icing for you to later pipe on borders. Like a giant plaid cake. icon_lol.gif Then the customer can cut their own squares by following the piping. Let them worry about the red velvet crumbs in the cream cheese icing!

Is that do-able or did they want you to physically cut it all the way for them?

I have to physically cut them! I told my husband if anyone else asks for cake squares to smack me in the head!!!!!! This has been more stressful than a 5 tiered fondant cake!!!!!!!!
I have found a recipe for a cream cheese glaze that I think I will pour over the top of the squares, then pipe a border around the top, and put a drop rose on top..............

Deehrvy Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 8

I have thinned cream cheese frosting before and used it as a drizzle when I make cinnamon buns, so you could do as Texas Rose said and then drizzle them after you take them out of the freezer that the icing drizzles down the sides...I don't know just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%