Where Can I Get Natural Food Colors?

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 21 May 2010 , 2:21am by linstead

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:51am
post #1 of 7

I am looking for natural food dye/colors to use for my cakes. My son has horrid reactions to food dyes and it is so sad to see him have to do without at parties when all the other kids are eating the neon colored frosting icon_cry.gif

Does anyone know where I might find food dyes that are not made from chemicals? You know...something plant based.
oh, and any kind of sprinkles or sanding sugar would be great too.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:03am
post #2 of 7

They have natural food colors at the health-food grocery store here.

Once you have the colors, you can make your own sanding sugar. Just put some sugar in a ziplock bag, add a tiny bit of color, and seal the bag, then knead it gently until the color spreads throughout the sugar. Let it dry on a plate or baking sheet, then put back in the bag for storage icon_biggrin.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:23am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

They have natural food colors at the health-food grocery store here.

Once you have the colors, you can make your own sanding sugar. Just put some sugar in a ziplock bag, add a tiny bit of color, and seal the bag, then knead it gently until the color spreads throughout the sugar. Let it dry on a plate or baking sheet, then put back in the bag for storage icon_biggrin.gif

Great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of making my own sanding sugar. I was just searching Whole Foods and Trader Joes in my area. I found a company called India Tree and they make all kinds of things like that. Hopefully when the store opens near me I can call and ask if they have the food colorings so I don't drive all the way over there for no reason.
Thanks for the reply icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 7

I have some made by India Tree (red, yellow, and blue)... I don't remember where I got them, though, but I know I bought them on-line somewhere... sorry!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 7

Yes India Tree makes a full line of natural sanding sugars in many colors. India Tree has food colors too but they only come in the three primary colors and then you have to mix them to get the other colors.

I was recently searching for the same thing and found that ChefMaster makes a line of Natural food colors (using all fruits/vegetable coloring and not artificial Yellow #5 and Red #40 etc). Do a google search for Chefmaster natural food color and you will get a bunch of hits to sites where you can order these. Many colors to choose from. And these appear to be gel colors and not water based as I suspect the India Tree ones are.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstead

Yes India Tree makes a full line of natural sanding sugars in many colors. India Tree has food colors too but they only come in the three primary colors and then you have to mix them to get the other colors.

I was recently searching for the same thing and found that ChefMaster makes a line of Natural food colors (using all fruits/vegetable coloring and not artificial Yellow #5 and Red #40 etc). Do a google search for Chefmaster natural food color and you will get a bunch of hits to sites where you can order these. Many colors to choose from. And these appear to be gel colors and not water based as I suspect the India Tree ones are.

I just want to thank you SO MUCH. This is so helpful (for probably many, but also for me). I had no idea that buying natural food color could be so easy, and even in gel colors!

the the OP, for fun sprinkles try a brand that I think is called "Let's do..." The sprinkles say "Let's do sprinkelz" and you can find them on their web site edward and sons dot com. They have three different, one chocolate, one multi colored and one confetti. They are also gluten free. You can order them online from their website, but if you have a Whole Foods (or other health food store) they probably carry it (= no shipping costs).

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:21am
post #7 of 7

I am going to order a bunch of Chefmaster colors as I was asked to do a cake for an austistic event this summer. I didn't even know these existed either until I started searching for them. Hope they work for your son.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%