Need To Make Guitar Strings

Decorating By judyz Updated 28 May 2010 , 5:51pm by jayne1873

judyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyz Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 10

Hello!

I am making a life-sized electric guitar for a high school graduation party. I need a suggestion on how to make the strings. I thought about using an extruder with gum paste to make the "strings". I'm worried they would be too brittle and not survive the delivery.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
JudyZ

9 replies
soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:55am
post #2 of 10

I have read here on CC that they use silver quilted thread and others fishing line.
There is a post by Izzy 1953 and by Khalstead on this subject.
hope this helps.
Ciao

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #3 of 10

If you are making it lifesize I really do not think they would make the trip. I think they would be way too delicate. How about that string licorice, then color it with petal dust, that way they would be edible. maybe LONG spagetti strands dyed.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:46am
post #4 of 10

i just made a guitar that was almost kid lifesize.. i tried florist wire first and ended up using plain (non mint) dental floss.. i tied it around a flat ended toothpick and stuck it in the cake, then i tied the other end around and stuck it at the other end (tied after I measured of course

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 10

You could also use rice noodles. (They sell them at Asian markets or in the international food aisle at the grocery store.) They are really long and a translucent white color. They come all jumbled up in their package, but you boil them for 90 seconds and they are completely moldable. Just straighten them out and let them dry and they will be really solid (but NOT brittle). Then you could easily color them silver/gold and put them on the cake.

BailiasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BailiasCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 10

I used fishing line, but cut it like they were broken strings so I didn't have to worry about everythign lining up perfectly. It helped that my cake was also in fire, so it didn't look so out of place. I have pictures posted here if you want to see.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 10

I have a guitar in my photos. I used thin spaghetti noodles painted with silver luster dust. I joined them as well as I could to make them "look" connected. No one could ever tell it was pasta. I think I used 3 going up to the top of the guitar.

judyz Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:54am
post #8 of 10

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I ended up using silver yarn. It worked GREAT! It was stretchy so I could make the strings stand off of the cake by tensioning it. I tied each end to toothpicks that were topped off with gum paste "knobs".

My BIGGEST MISTAKE.........and I do mean BIG..........I had purchase silver HIGHLIGHTER (not luster dust) from GSA. My mistake was not reading the label closely before using it. I was so impressed that it was bright and really looked like silver metal. After finishing the cake, I noticed the label on the jar said NON-EDIBLE! I almost had a stroke. I had to tell the customer to not eat the areas where the highlighter had been used.

What a lesson to learn! And, of course, it was 2:30 a.m. when I realized the mistake and I had to deliver it at 10 a.m.........

Thanks again, everyone!
This is an AWESOME forum!!!
Judy Z

judyz Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:57am
post #9 of 10

Dear Bailiascakes and tarheelgirl,

I would greatly appreciate the links to your guitar cakes on the website. I'm sure I'll make a cake like this again, so would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks!
Judy Z

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 28 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 10

Ooo sounds great would love to see a picture

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%