Cake Wires At Michaels

Decorating By casme Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 6:37pm by tesso

casme Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:52am
post #1 of 15

I just bought a package of Duff's decorative cake wires. Ten in a pack for 4.99. I did have a 40% off coupon so only 2.99. They are very sturdy and appear to made from a stainless steel? material which I believe would definately be food safe. They are also easy to curl tighter and/or straighten out. I am using them this weekend with attatched gumpaste decorations. Will let you know what I think.

14 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #2 of 15

I just bought those too. I was intrigued by the claim that you could stick them directly into the cake. Especially after hearing all about how that's not safe to do on here. When I first heard that's a no no I thought, why not just make the wires out of a food safe material?

It's about time.

PinkZiab Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 15

You can also order stainless steel wire through any number of hardware and wire manufacturers (locally or online--shop around). I would still avoid sticking the wires in any acidic cakes (lemon, etc), but I've been sticking my SS wires straight in for a while now.

mbark Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 15

sounds awesome, I'll definitely get some, my Michael's doesn't have Duff's line yet though

cuteums Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 15

I was wondering if you could stick them straight into the cake. I keep hearing about how that is bad but there is nothing on the package that says you can't do that. Although there isn't anything on the package that says it's food safe either.

terrylee Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 15

If you aren't sure if they are food safe...use straws or the floral pics to hold the wire....a post not to long ago mentioned the floral pics, fill with fondant and stick the wire in them...holds them secure......

ArtieTs Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by casme

I just bought a package of Duff's decorative cake wires. Ten in a pack for 4.99. I did have a 40% off coupon so only 2.99. They are very sturdy and appear to made from a stainless steel? material which I believe would definately be food safe. They are also easy to curl tighter and/or straighten out. I am using them this weekend with attatched gumpaste decorations. Will let you know what I think.

Help me!!! I see them on the Michael's website but no store near me has them. I'm in San Francisco, CA. I'm getting irritated at Michaels. I called customer service & they said they cannot help me track them down without a UPC code????? Well Duh dude if I had a UPC code wouldn't that mean I either have some already or found them myself. He was useless :- Michaels really needs to set it's game up & offer online ordering of products.

Does anyone know where I can locate these wires?

Loucinda Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 15

I have some here in the package. They are made by Gartner 220 E. Myrtle st. Stillwater MN. UPC #6 3468086718 1

Hope that helps!

I will still use something to support the wire when putting them into the cake, the weight of something being on the end of it may make the end that is in the cake tear through the cake, IMO.

tesso Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have some here in the package. They are made by Gartner 220 E. Myrtle st. Stillwater MN. UPC #6 3468086718 1

Hope that helps!

I will still use something to support the wire when putting them into the cake, the weight of something being on the end of it may make the end that is in the cake tear through the cake, IMO.

if your wire is tearing through the cake then the wrong gauge is being used. for heavy fondant I use 14 gauge. for smaller items 18 and really light items 20 guage.

I buy non-toxic jewelry wire, it comes in different colors too, if wire needs to go directly into cake. They even have 12 gauge !! which is really hard to find (well where I am it is).

ArtieTs Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Hope that helps!

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for replying.

Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:56am
post #11 of 15

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

msthang1224 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:13am
post #12 of 15

Wow, thanks for the info. I definitely have to take a trip to my michaels and see all the new products

Cakepro Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:50am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I buy non-toxic jewelry wire, it comes in different colors too, if wire needs to go directly into cake.

Non-toxic does NOT mean food safe! How about I find a bunch of stuff that is labeled as non-toxic and stick it in your kid's food for awhile. Would you then feed that food to your kid just because it was labeled non-toxic?

You absolutely do NOT know the composition of the jewelry wire nor the coloring that is used to color the wire. Jewelry wire is NOT food safe.

msthang1224 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:10am
post #14 of 15

Cakepro, that's a good point you made. Something to think about definitely.

I just watched a couple of instructional/demo videos on youtube and one is specific stood out to me. There is a cricut cake rep giving a demo and he was explaining the parts of the machine. He clearly states that the crciut cake hs STAINLESS STEEL ROTORS AND BLADE WIHICH ARE FOOD SAFE. So with that said, I guess the stainless steel cake wires you purchased for cakes are FOOD SAFE. So, I guess its up to you if you want to be extra cautious and use the straw or picks before instering in your cakes. HTH

tesso Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:37pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I buy non-toxic jewelry wire, it comes in different colors too, if wire needs to go directly into cake.

Non-toxic does NOT mean food safe! How about I find a bunch of stuff that is labeled as non-toxic and stick it in your kid's food for awhile. Would you then feed that food to your kid just because it was labeled non-toxic?

You absolutely do NOT know the composition of the jewelry wire nor the coloring that is used to color the wire. Jewelry wire is NOT food safe.

believe it or not, I am a little smarter than you think. I do my research and have even called companies to find out if their products are non-toxic, AND food safe In this case wire. Some said, NO, others said, we dont know, and others said Yes, and cake decorators are some of our biggest clients.

All I can recommend it doing reaserch on a product before using it. One of the companies I called just happens to sell their wire at hobby lobby and micheals in my district. But, so their is no confusion I suggest anyone wanting to use a wire in a cake, call the manufacturer and ask.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%