How Much To Charge For Quilting?

Business By -Tubbs Updated 20 May 2010 , 3:56pm by DeeDelightful

-Tubbs Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 16

I'm trying to get better at charging for 'extras' when I quote for cakes, since I always seem to get carried away and do lots of extra work without being paid for it.

I met with a bride this afternoon who wants four tiers - 6, 8, 10 & 12" fondant rounds, with the top and bottom tiers quilted, with silver dragees.

What would be a decent rate to charge for attaching all those dragees? I'm thinking it will probably take me a couple of hours to do, so in the region of $45, to cover the additional cost of material also. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for any input.

15 replies
tootie0809 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:39am
post #2 of 16

I don't charge extra for quilting. I actually love quilting and for some reason I get extreme satisfaction in attaching dragees. It's one of my favorite designs to do. Maybe I'm just weird though. icon_wink.gif

jammjenks Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #3 of 16

I don't charge extra for it either.

sari66 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 16

I don't charge extra for that. But if for your own sake you feel the need to charge for it include it to the base cost of making the cake.

leah_s Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #5 of 16

I wouldn't charge extra either. That's easy and fast.

Bluehue Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:09am
post #6 of 16

I don't charge extra either for embossing/quilting - thats all part and parcel of the cake design.

Do you charge per slice or just have a set price for an X inch?

Bluehue

Eisskween Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #7 of 16

Same with me, I don't charge extra for quilting and just like tootie, it's one of my favorite designs to do.

cheatize Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:18am
post #8 of 16

The OP isn't necessarily talking about the quilting, it's the extra time for the dragees.

Loucinda Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #9 of 16

That is a design that I also don't charge extra for. (dragees included)

I would say you can charge whatever you want to for doing it though - each person has their own way of doing things!

Bluehue Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:07am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

The OP isn't necessarily talking about the quilting, it's the extra time for the dragees.

Yes but for me it *all* comes under the design of the cake.

I incorporate my ingrediants, my cake boards, my delivery, my electricity, my gas yaddda yadda yadda into the price of the cake.

Maybe the OP should just add on the cost of the dragees/cachous and an hourly rate for how ever long it takes them - *shrugs*

Honestly - i couldn't be bothreed doing that as sometimes i have to stop to answer the phone or answer the door bell - then going to wash my hands, so i would be forever jotting down my times - to me, thats not good time and motion working ethics.

Bluehue.

-Tubbs Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 16

Ok, that's interesting - I thought that this would be one of those extras I should be charging for! (similar to the two hours I spent last week making little fondant characters for an $80 cake which I didn't charge for!)

I appreciate your input and will have to figure out how to play this... I want to quote fairly because I really want to do this cake - it will be gorgeous and I want it for my portfolio amongst all the cupcake towers icon_sad.gif

KHalstead Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #12 of 16

I wouldn't charge a "flat rate" for that work, since the amount will vary based on the size of the cakes, whether they're round/square, etc.

Maybe you could add on say $.25/serv. to cover the extra time involved in that?

I personally don't charge extra for ANY decorations, including handpainting the cakes, with the exception of "basket weave" THAT gets an extra charge because I hate it and it cramps up my hands. Luckily nobody wants it, except for a couple 3-D fishing basket cakes i've done lol.

Bluehue Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

Ok, that's interesting - I thought that this would be one of those extras I should be charging for! (similar to the two hours I spent last week making little fondant characters for an $80 cake which I didn't charge for!)

I appreciate your input and will have to figure out how to play this... I want to quote fairly because I really want to do this cake - it will be gorgeous and I want it for my portfolio amongst all the cupcake towers icon_sad.gif

I don't know if you charge per slice or work out a flat rate for a certain style of cake to cover all your time/effort and costs - but if you charge per slice - are you able to add a little extra on to cover the time for doing the quiltting and cachous?

Do you feel compelled to stick to a certain price and would it mean loosing the order if you charged say an extra $25. - $30. for that design and cachous?

It that design seen/done alot around your area - or might it be something that would standout and give the *wow* factor?

Do you charge a set fee for delivery or X ammount per mile.

What if you added more dollars to the actual cake and suggested to the customer that you will deduct from the delivery - might sound tacky - but it could just get you over the line........... if push comes to shove.
iykwim.

Bluehue.

-Tubbs Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 16

I've just sent off the quote. I added an extra $20 for the quilting work, which will cover the cost of the materials and some of my time. I do charge a per serving rate ($3.75 for fondant, tiered cakes), and that charge does cover most of the decorating I do (basic piping, fondant cut-outs - that sort of thing). I usually only charge extra for things like gumpaste flowers, but the last time I did quilting it seemed to take ages. But that's also my lack of experience, and the client shouldn't have to pay extra for THAT!

Thanks again for all your input.

Bluehue Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

I've just sent off the quote. I added an extra $20 for the quilting work, which will cover the cost of the materials and some of my time.
thumbs_up.gif , i hope it goes well for you and you get the order.
&20.00 extra is a very fair price for you to charge - especially when you divide it into the ammount of servings.
Let us all know how you go -Good Luck.
Bluehue.

I do charge a per serving rate ($3.75 for fondant, tiered cakes), and that charge does cover most of the decorating I do (basic piping, fondant cut-outs - that sort of thing). I usually only charge extra for things like gumpaste flowers, but the last time I did quilting it seemed to take ages. But that's also my lack of experience, and the client shouldn't have to pay extra for THAT!

Thanks again for all your input.

DeeDelightful Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I don't charge extra for quilting. I actually love quilting and for some reason I get extreme satisfaction in attaching dragees. It's one of my favorite designs to do. Maybe I'm just weird though. icon_wink.gif

Ok, so i totally need some inspiration from you, because i have a 14/12/10 inch wedding cake to do for Saturday. Every tier is quilted (have the impression mat) and dragees covering the whole thing...eeek! Is that going to take me all day tomorrow? LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%