Heat Stable Buttercream?

Baking By fsinger84 Updated 21 May 2010 , 7:58pm by fsinger84

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #1 of 14

I am looking for a buttercream recipe that will be ok in heat. Im talking 85-90 degrees possibly.

I currently use Americas Test Kitchen recipe but I am afraid it will melt in the higher temp. Is it possible to just add some meringue powder to ensure it wont melt? Or will that make the icing crusty/hard?

Thanks!

13 replies
saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:12am
post #2 of 14

Indydebi's buttercream is stable in the heat (she has told a story of a wedding cake that sat out in 90 degree weather, high humidity and it was fine). It is an all shortening recipe and is delicious; whenever I have cakes to do in the summer this is the recipe that I use. During other times of the year or if the cake is going to be kept cool, I use her recipe but use half shortening, half butter (what can I say, I like the taste of butter icon_biggrin.gif ). Her recipe is in the recipes section.

HTH

Sheryl

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:32am
post #3 of 14

The recipe I use for outdoor or warm-weather events has the same ingredients as Indydebi's, just in slightly different ingredient quantities. It holds up REALLY well in heat and humidity. I believe Indydebi's is posted in the Recipe section of this forum. I think you'll be very happy with it. thumbs_up.gif

fsinger84 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #4 of 14

Is it at all possible to do it using butter? I really prefer the taste of butter that is for sure. I also bake for the farmers market where I have to list all ingredients, I wouldn't want to have to list shortening : (

ETA: I want to keep it as natural as possible. I have to list every ingredient and every ingredient within an ingredient and no way could I fit everything if I used indidebi's recipe, dream whip has to many ingredients.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #5 of 14

I think Sugarshack's recipe would do well also. I'm sure you probably already know, but don't use any butter! Made that mistake once early on in my cake decorating years & the frosting was rancid from the heat.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #6 of 14

info from baking-911

Quote:
Quote:

FYI: Shortening's melting point is about 98 - 110 degrees F. Butter begins to melt at 85 degrees F.

fsinger84 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

info from baking-911

Quote:
Quote:

FYI: Shortening's melting point is about 98 - 110 degrees F. Butter begins to melt at 85 degrees F.

I know but thanks for the reminder icon_biggrin.gif I just want to get a recipe people have actually used so I don't ruin 16 doz cupcakes!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:06am
post #8 of 14

I use Indydebi's buttercream as well. It hold up to our hot and humid Arkansas weather. very well. I would not use butter if it's going to be in the heat. I would use all shortening buttercream.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 14

Another vote for Indydebi's BC. My friends and family love it. Also, when a friend left her cake in the trunk of her car for about 2 hours on a sunny 85 degree day, the icing was still perfect!

Here's a link:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 14

Whipped Cream Buttercream (in the recipe section) is also heat stable.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 14

Hmmm.... I see the predicament you are in with listing ingredients for the farmer's market... Please let us know what you decide.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 14

I use high ratio shortening with a GOOD butter flavoring and have had mine out in 95 degrees plus humidity and sun and have gotten some fading of pinks but no melting.

fsinger84 Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did a test batch of both Indidebi and sugarshack's buttercreams and overall I prefer Indidebi's. She was even so kind as to answer some questions I had about the buttercream. I think that when I make cookies n cream cupcakes I will make the sugarshack recipe because to me the buttercream tastes like the inside of an oreo.

As for the labels. I looked at a lable I had coolected from a farmers mkt in town to see how she listed ingredients and some she just listed the name and not the entire contense. Until I am told otherwise thats what I will be doing.

fsinger84 Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did a test batch of both Indidebi and sugarshack's buttercreams and overall I prefer Indidebi's. She was even so kind as to answer some questions I had about the buttercream. I think that when I make cookies n cream cupcakes I will make the sugarshack recipe because to me the buttercream tastes like the inside of an oreo.

As for the labels. I looked at a lable I had coolected from a farmers mkt in town to see how she listed ingredients and some she just listed the name and not the entire contense. Until I am told otherwise thats what I will be doing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%