Heat Stable Buttercream?

Baking By fsinger84 Updated 21 May 2010 , 7:58pm by fsinger84

fsinger84 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #1 of 14

I am looking for a buttercream recipe that will be ok in heat. Im talking 85-90 degrees possibly.

I currently use Americas Test Kitchen recipe but I am afraid it will melt in the higher temp. Is it possible to just add some meringue powder to ensure it wont melt? Or will that make the icing crusty/hard?

Thanks!

13 replies
saapena Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:12am
post #2 of 14

Indydebi's buttercream is stable in the heat (she has told a story of a wedding cake that sat out in 90 degree weather, high humidity and it was fine). It is an all shortening recipe and is delicious; whenever I have cakes to do in the summer this is the recipe that I use. During other times of the year or if the cake is going to be kept cool, I use her recipe but use half shortening, half butter (what can I say, I like the taste of butter icon_biggrin.gif ). Her recipe is in the recipes section.

HTH

Sheryl

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:32am
post #3 of 14

The recipe I use for outdoor or warm-weather events has the same ingredients as Indydebi's, just in slightly different ingredient quantities. It holds up REALLY well in heat and humidity. I believe Indydebi's is posted in the Recipe section of this forum. I think you'll be very happy with it. thumbs_up.gif

fsinger84 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #4 of 14

Is it at all possible to do it using butter? I really prefer the taste of butter that is for sure. I also bake for the farmers market where I have to list all ingredients, I wouldn't want to have to list shortening : (

ETA: I want to keep it as natural as possible. I have to list every ingredient and every ingredient within an ingredient and no way could I fit everything if I used indidebi's recipe, dream whip has to many ingredients.

mbark Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #5 of 14

I think Sugarshack's recipe would do well also. I'm sure you probably already know, but don't use any butter! Made that mistake once early on in my cake decorating years & the frosting was rancid from the heat.

metria Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #6 of 14

info from baking-911

Quote:
Quote:

FYI: Shortening's melting point is about 98 - 110 degrees F. Butter begins to melt at 85 degrees F.

fsinger84 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

info from baking-911

Quote:
Quote:

FYI: Shortening's melting point is about 98 - 110 degrees F. Butter begins to melt at 85 degrees F.

I know but thanks for the reminder icon_biggrin.gif I just want to get a recipe people have actually used so I don't ruin 16 doz cupcakes!

mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:06am
post #8 of 14

I use Indydebi's buttercream as well. It hold up to our hot and humid Arkansas weather. very well. I would not use butter if it's going to be in the heat. I would use all shortening buttercream.

poohsmomma Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 14

Another vote for Indydebi's BC. My friends and family love it. Also, when a friend left her cake in the trunk of her car for about 2 hours on a sunny 85 degree day, the icing was still perfect!

Here's a link:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

leah_s Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 14

Whipped Cream Buttercream (in the recipe section) is also heat stable.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 14

Hmmm.... I see the predicament you are in with listing ingredients for the farmer's market... Please let us know what you decide.

debster Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 14

I use high ratio shortening with a GOOD butter flavoring and have had mine out in 95 degrees plus humidity and sun and have gotten some fading of pinks but no melting.

fsinger84 Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did a test batch of both Indidebi and sugarshack's buttercreams and overall I prefer Indidebi's. She was even so kind as to answer some questions I had about the buttercream. I think that when I make cookies n cream cupcakes I will make the sugarshack recipe because to me the buttercream tastes like the inside of an oreo.

As for the labels. I looked at a lable I had coolected from a farmers mkt in town to see how she listed ingredients and some she just listed the name and not the entire contense. Until I am told otherwise thats what I will be doing.

fsinger84 Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did a test batch of both Indidebi and sugarshack's buttercreams and overall I prefer Indidebi's. She was even so kind as to answer some questions I had about the buttercream. I think that when I make cookies n cream cupcakes I will make the sugarshack recipe because to me the buttercream tastes like the inside of an oreo.

As for the labels. I looked at a lable I had coolected from a farmers mkt in town to see how she listed ingredients and some she just listed the name and not the entire contense. Until I am told otherwise thats what I will be doing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%