Oh The Horror! (Long)

Decorating By cakecraft Updated 20 May 2010 , 4:50am by Bluehue

cakecraft Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:34am
post #1 of 8

GAAHHH!!! This is not a cake decorating disaster, but a cake CUTTING disaster--at the hands of folks who should have known better!!! icon_mad.gif

I was at an anniversary celebration tonight for our local women's centre's 35th anniversary. I was the Executive Director there for 7 years, so I was an invited guest. I also donated the cake. The dinner was held at a hotel ballroom (where loads of weddings are held).

I made a 12/8 round stacked cake covered in marbled mauve fondant, simply decorated (a women's symbol on the front and wired spray on the top) to match the decor. (2 different flavours: Top tier chocolate w/ chocolate mint mousse filling, bottom tier choc/vanilla alternating cake layers with white chocolate mousse and crushed skor bars). It was one of those cakes that just went well from start to finish, and if I do say so myself, looked pretty on the outside and inside--this is important in a minute, lol)

So, after the meal was over, they did the official cake cutting, and then the hotel staff started to cut and serve the cake-or should I say, HACK APART the cake (without disassembling the tiers) and THROW it on plates. Literally there were "slices" in 2 and 3 pieces on the plates. I was horrified-so I approached the staff person who was butchering my creation icon_cry.gif and nicely said (through a slightly clenched jaw!) that the 2 tiers were different flavours and that removing the top tier and cutting even, neat slices (in IndyDebi style) would be easier. Super politely. And then sat back down.

Seriously! I provide cutting guides when I have an inkling the cake is being cut by cake civilians, but hotel staff who do this regularly? Guess I learned not to assume. Sheesh! Even after I *ahem* provided guidance, the pieces did not look neat and uniform. What a letdown.

On the bright side, the cake was gobbled up. And this after the guests already had a big meal with cheesecake for dessert! (The hotel would only let cake be brought in if dessert was also ordered from them -weird) I admit I am a bit of a control freak, I like things done properly. My attention to detail is what makes me a good caker, right? So I was peeved. How hard is it to cut a frikken cake?! Thanks for letting me blow off steam!

7 replies
cupcake_cutie Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:41am
post #2 of 8

Cakecraft that's terrible! You would think that they would know how to cut a cake especially with all the events going on where they would have to cut cakes!

tesso Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 8

steam away !!! I dont blame you a bit for being peeved. I sure would have been. I serve cake cut into pristine little pieces. If it had been the hotel's dessert, I bet it would have been cut better !!! IMO, they just didnt care because it wasn't theirs.

cakecraft Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:05am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for commiserating, cupcake-cutie! I agree with you tesso, presentation is so important. Who wants to eat something that doesn't look appetizing? All that work, and someone's incompetence/inconsideration spoils the tah-dah moment! GRRRR.

cakegrandma Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #5 of 8

I'm sorry that happened to your cake! We eat with our eyes first and if it does not look good then often our expectations of taste can be tainted before we even try it. I think I would contact the manager of the venue and let them know how it was cut and served. icon_mad.gif I would point out that you had expected that those that cut cakes would be well versed in doing so and these servers certainly did not show that skill. I would also point out the dessert had been purchased from them per their requirements and their lack of professionalism icon_eek.gif in cutting was unwarranted.
evelyn

Adevag Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #6 of 8

It's sad when people who work with food don't even understand how to care for it properly. I think it was so good of you to "help" them out with instructions. Who knows, maybe you saved a future bride from having her wedding cake hacked apart. thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:47am
post #7 of 8

I had this happen at a wedding I attended, and the cake was my gift...the caterer, after assuring me that she knew how to cut the cake, hacked the poor thing to death. What was supposed to be 75 servings ended up being 50 at best and they looked awful! The only good news is that there were enough people who didn't eat cake that there was exactly one piece left over on the serving table and the Bride ate that one. Amazing how these "trained" people are really cake muggles in disguise!

Bluehue Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:50am
post #8 of 8

Reminds me of a time when DH and i were at a Wedding.
The wedding cake was the desert.

Uniformed girl places plate in front of me and said ....*there ya go*

Me - icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif - what is that?

Uniformed girl - your dessert LADY -

Me - icon_confused.gif ohhhh, i thought we were having Wedding Cake for dessert -

Uniformed girl - you are LADY -

Me - your kidding me - that looks like mashed potatoe.

Uniformed girl - whatever

Me - do me a favour and take that plate to the MOTB.

Uniformed girl - whyyyyy

Me - because she paid for that mashed potatoe and i am sure she would love a second helping.

Uniformed girl - nup, she's on the main table - they got the good cuts.

Me - icon_eek.gif - leave my plate and just carry my chair to the main table

Uniformed girl - what

Me - you heard - i didn't spend XXXX dollars buying new ouitfit - hair - nails done - xxxy gift - wrapping paper - card - to be served mashed potatoe instead of wedding cake.

Uniformed girl - icon_rolleyes.gif and then scurries off

46 minues later the MOTB comes to out table
Did you love the Wedding Cake?

Me - didn't get any

MOTB - icon_eek.gif - just stay there and i will get someone to bring you a slice.

Uniformed girl - here......... and thanks for dobbing

Me - icon_biggrin.gif your welcome - and thankyou so very much for my plate of CAKE -

and we all lived happily ever after. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Incredible how some people can turn something so pretty and edible into a train wreck with just one almighty wave of a knife.
Sorry this happened to you.

Bluehue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%