Cake Mix??

Decorating By anastasien Updated 20 May 2010 , 12:28pm by Karen421

anastasien Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 18

Could someone please tell me what the best cake is to use for doing a wedding cake?? I am going to do a 3 tier wedding cake and I want it to be very sturdy, she asked for vanilla cake with lemon filling? any help would be great.

17 replies
Occther Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #2 of 18

It all depends on personal tastes. Believe it or not, for white cake, I use straight Duncan Hines white - and people love it. (Don't get me wrong, I can bake from scratch.) Might be a Midwest thing.

ptanyer Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 18

Pound cake makes a great wedding cake. I have a scratch recipe that is moist and sturdy and you can change the flavorings to suit the fillings.

Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 18

Same here, most like the DH or the WASC cake. And I too can bake from scratch!!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:07am
post #5 of 18

Try the WASC cake in the recipes section here (the original one by kakeladi) It's almost as sturdy as a pound cake and you can change up the flavor pretty much any way you'd want.

mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 18

I have to agree. I use kakeladi's WASC receipe and I use Duncan Hines White Cake mix. In taste test these are my winners.

Loucinda Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:43am
post #7 of 18

Ditto on the WASC - my most ordered flavor here. Perfect for weddings.....although, you can use any cake - it is the support sysytem that holds the cake structure up, not the cakes themselves. Make sure you have a good support system! thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:49am
post #8 of 18

Loucinda is right. Cake doesn't support cake. Your support system is what supports your cake. You can stack angel food cake or straight box mix. It's all about the support system not what kind of cake you use.

grams Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 18

Those of you who use the WASC recipe, do you use the DH mix for your white cake part of the WASC? Others, do you use the classic white DH mix with standard direction on the box? I tried the WASC recipe from this web sight and my family said it didn't taste any different than the white DH I usually make. We couldn't taste the almond.

I ask because I'm making my first wedding cake in July for my daughter and I want it to be the best.
Thanks

Tiffany29 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

do you use the classic white DH mix with standard direction on the box? I tried the WASC recipe from this web sight and my family said it didn't taste any different than the white DH I usually make. We couldn't taste the almond

I use kakeladi's recipe all the time.
No, don't follow the directions on the box. You add to the dry mix.
here is the recipe.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Loucinda Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #11 of 18

Ditto to what Tiffany said, NO DO NOT follow the directions on the box. The box is just an ingredient in the WASC recipe......ignore what the box says and just follow the WASC recipe. It has just a slight almond flavor - and people LOVE it.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:59am
post #12 of 18

I like to add a bit more almond than it calls for, like almost an extra tablespoon! We REALLY like almond though icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:20am
post #13 of 18

I like a subtle almond flavor, so I add just what is called for in the WASC recipe. It is my most popular wedding cake flavor.

Like ptanyer, I also use a standard pound cake recipe and adjust the flavorings as needed when I make pound cake. It is my grandmother's recipe and it is so good (and easy).

terrylee Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #14 of 18

I use DH too but add the yokes, it is not as white and "white" cake but the yokes seem to add a bit more moisture. It is not as yellow as a yellow cake...
I do like the WASC too.

andreamen1 Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:44am
post #15 of 18

I use white DH as well it's my #1 seller everyone loves it

CakesIMake Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany29

Quote:
Quote:

do you use the classic white DH mix with standard direction on the box? I tried the WASC recipe from this web sight and my family said it didn't taste any different than the white DH I usually make. We couldn't taste the almond

I use kakeladi's recipe all the time.
No, don't follow the directions on the box. You add to the dry mix.
here is the recipe.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

thanks for the link I'm gonna have to definitely try it out...Just one question tho...I use DH which doesn't have the pudding in it..do I have to add some?

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:56am
post #17 of 18

This is my favorite flavor and top seller.

White Cake (I love DH)
1 box of instant French Vanilla pudding mix
4 whole eggs
1/2 cup oil

Mix as instructed on the box. Bake at 325. It really makes a great tasting moist cake. It makes a light yellow cake.

Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #18 of 18

I don't add pudding with the DH in the WASC. I just follow the recipe, using DH instead of BC and the 1 TBL of flavoring I use almond. That is my DDs favorite. I will be using this recipe for most of her wedding cake with indydebi's BC with almond flavor. (that is her - I can't stay out of the frosting bowl - favorite!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%