Smbc And Imbc Users, I Have A Question Please?!

Decorating By Niquie Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:00am by Niquie

Niquie Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I want to try both of these frostings, but the recipes that I want to try for both, don't say if the butter needs to be cold or room temp. Does this matter, or how do you make yours??? Thanks, any help will be much appreciated.

Ashley

8 replies
snarkybaker Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 9

cool room temperature- 68 degrees is ideal.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 9

I use mine at room temp to, I pretty much jut leave it out on the counter overnight. If it's too warm/soupy I just pop it in the fridge for about 5/10 minutes and it's perfect.

mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 9

I add mine straight from the fridge without any problems. I use to add it at room tempature and had issues. It made my SMBC too runny. Don't know if it's the humidity or what. I read a post by someone (don't know who) that said they added theirs striaght from the fridge so I tried it. Worked for me. thumbs_up.gif

dalis4joe Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I add mine straight from the fridge without any problems. I use to add it at room tempature and had issues. It made my SMBC too runny. Don't know if it's the humidity or what. I read a post by someone (don't know who) that said they added theirs striaght from the fridge so I tried it. Worked for me. thumbs_up.gif

my first time...I used at room temp... my icing came out saoft... too soft... my second try.... straight out of the frudge.... perfect buttercream.... great consistency and super delicious!

costumeczar Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #6 of 9

You're supposed to bring the meringue to room temp before adding the butter, but if you add it when the meringue mixture is still warm the butter will melt. Mamawrobin, are you adding the butter before it cools down? That's the only way it would work, I'd think, if you're adding cold butter to it. If the meringue is room temp and you add cold butter it should make the buttercream break, and you'd have to warm it up to get it back to the right texture.

Snarkybaker is right, the short answer is that everything should be room temp when you mix it.

metria Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #7 of 9

i make IMBC.

usually, first thing i do is take out my butter. then i do everything else. by the time the meringue is room temp and i'm ready to add butter, the sticks are just slightly softened, but still a little cool.

mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

You're supposed to bring the meringue to room temp before adding the butter, but if you add it when the meringue mixture is still warm the butter will melt. Mamawrobin, are you adding the butter before it cools down? That's the only way it would work, I'd think, if you're adding cold butter to it. If the meringue is room temp and you add cold butter it should make the buttercream break, and you'd have to warm it up to get it back to the right texture.

Snarkybaker is right, the short answer is that everything should be room temp when you mix it.

Yes, I'm letting the meringue come to room tempature before adding the butter. I take mine from the fridge and cut it into tablespoon size pieces. By the time I've cut all of the butter it's starting to soften up. So it really isn't hard when I add it to the meringue.

Niquie Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:00am
post #9 of 9

Ok, thanks so much everyone. I had my butter at room temp. but I figured it would be too soft so I guess I'll put it in the fridge and let it firm up a little before I get started. Thanks again for the help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%