White Chocolate Ganache

Baking By sweetooth94 Updated 20 May 2010 , 1:28pm by sweetooth94

sweetooth94 Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 8

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about white chocolate ganache and someone was kind enough to put their recipe in one of the posts. Some CC'ers added their own tips and suggestions on using it and smoothing it and I SWEAR I saved the posts under watched topics to use later (sigh). I don't believe the original posting was about ganache, but it kind of ended up there. It could have even been a really old post that I found, but I can't seem to find it now. I've searched and searched on the forums, but can't seem to get the right discussion to come up (anyone else have trouble with the "searches" on here??) Can someone PLEASE help me find it or give me their white chocolate ganache recipe and instructions?

7 replies
mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of 8

12 ounces white chocolate (I use baker's white chocolate)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Break chocolate up into small pieces in a glass bowl.
In saucepan bring heavy cream to a boil. Pour over chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted. Cover and let sit at room tempature for 24 hours before using.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 8
jemchina Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

12 ounces white chocolate (I use baker's white chocolate)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Break chocolate up into small pieces in a glass bowl.
In saucepan bring heavy cream to a boil. Pour over chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours before using.

I tried making ganache today from a recipe on this site, and it did not turn out. It seemed very watery. I was planning in whipping to use as a filling and that didn't even work.

The recipe was
1qt cream
1 lb white chocolate..
2-4 T rum

I halved the recipe as it said it could be or even doubled. So don't use this one if you come across it in the recipe section. I ended up having to use just plain buttercream

mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:54am
post #5 of 8

jemchina that's too much cream/liquid for white chocolate. White chocolate is softer than regular chocolate. When I make chocolate ganache I use 2:1 ratio. Twice as much chocolate as cream. White chocolate ganache should be 3:1 ratio. Three times more chocolate than cream.

jemchina Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:57am
post #6 of 8
Quote:

jemchina that's too much cream/liquid for white chocolate. White chocolate is softer than regular chocolate. When I make chocolate ganache I use 2:1 ratio. Twice as much chocolate as cream. White chocolate ganache should be 3:1 ratio. Three times more chocolate than cream.

Just found the link
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6053/white-chocolate-rum-whipped-ganache

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember it next time. It seems a few people posted that it worked for them, I don't see how that could have been possible. Mine looked like soup icon_cry.gif

mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:02am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemchina

Quote:

Just found the link
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6053/white-chocolate-rum-whipped-ganache

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember it next time. It seems a few people posted that it worked for them, I don't see how that could have been possible. Mine looked like soup icon_cry.gif

I don't either. That is entirely too much cream for that amount of white chocolate. icon_confused.gif

sweetooth94 Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 8

Jeep-girl - I did read through your post just yesterday trying to find the one I was looking for, but that wasn't the one I was thinking of. Thanks for directing me back to it though, there were some points in there I found helpful.

Mamawrobin - thanks for the recipe. I use a whipped version with a little more cream (love it), but I just didn't know what I needed to change to make it spreadable to use for under fondant. Thanks for the help!

Jemchina - that's why I was asking before I just picked a white chocolate ganache recipe from the recipe section. I don't always have the same results either icon_wink.gif .

Thanks to all who posted!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%