How Do You Know When A Cake Needs To Have Extra Support?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:33am by casme

KayMc Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make a cake that is two 8' layers, with either a 6" or 4" on the top. Would this need additional support? How do you know when support is needed?

4 replies
mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure what you mean by "additional" support, but cake doesn't support cake. If you are making an 8 inch cake and putting one 6" layer on top you don't need to add supports (dowels/straws). If you are making a two layer 6 inch cake or two layer 4" cake to go on top of the 8 inch cake then you need supports.

The "rule" is supports for every 4 vertical inches. I use supports if it's 3 inches or more. Don't forget that the 6 inch cake also needs to sit on it's own cakeboard as well.

KayMc Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, Mamawrobin. So, I would need support (a cakeboard, I guess?) on top of the second 8" layer, if I was doing two 8" layers topped by a smaller 6" layer? Thanks.

mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Thanks, Mamawrobin. So, I would need support (a cakeboard, I guess?) on top of the second 8" layer, if I was doing two 8" layers topped by a smaller 6" layer? Thanks.

I would put the 6 inch cake on it's own cakeboard simply because it will make it easier to cut the cake. You can remove the 6 inch from the 8 inch cake if it rest on it's own cakeboard. If your 6 inch cake is going to be two layers then you're going to need dowels or straws to support it along with that cakeboard.

casme Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 5

I agree, I always use cake boards and dowels when making tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%