How Do You Know When A Cake Needs To Have Extra Support?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:33am by casme

KayMc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make a cake that is two 8' layers, with either a 6" or 4" on the top. Would this need additional support? How do you know when support is needed?

4 replies
 mamawrobin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure what you mean by "additional" support, but cake doesn't support cake. If you are making an 8 inch cake and putting one 6" layer on top you don't need to add supports (dowels/straws). If you are making a two layer 6 inch cake or two layer 4" cake to go on top of the 8 inch cake then you need supports.

The "rule" is supports for every 4 vertical inches. I use supports if it's 3 inches or more. Don't forget that the 6 inch cake also needs to sit on it's own cakeboard as well.

KayMc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, Mamawrobin. So, I would need support (a cakeboard, I guess?) on top of the second 8" layer, if I was doing two 8" layers topped by a smaller 6" layer? Thanks.

mamawrobin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Thanks, Mamawrobin. So, I would need support (a cakeboard, I guess?) on top of the second 8" layer, if I was doing two 8" layers topped by a smaller 6" layer? Thanks.

I would put the 6 inch cake on it's own cakeboard simply because it will make it easier to cut the cake. You can remove the 6 inch from the 8 inch cake if it rest on it's own cakeboard. If your 6 inch cake is going to be two layers then you're going to need dowels or straws to support it along with that cakeboard.

casme  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 5

I agree, I always use cake boards and dowels when making tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%