For Those Who Have Fat Daddio And Magic Line Pans

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 28 May 2010 , 3:27am by Karen421

makeminepink Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 21

I ordered Magic Line square pans from a company and they accidentally sent me Fat Daddios. Would you send them back or just keep them? I have a Magic Line 9x 13, but wonder if it's enough difference to send them back. What do you think? I'll for sure check the price difference and let them know if there is one.

20 replies
LisaMarie86 Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 21

I dont know if there is a difference at all or not but I just ordered a 5 piece set of Magic Line pans!

Enilajar Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 21

I have a Fat Daddio pan and I find it FAR superior to Wilton pans, I have never used the other kind.

CakesbyOma Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 21

I personally prefer Magic Line, but everyone has their own favourites. What you might want to check is the size. Is FD's 10" the same as ML's? This may cause a problem if you're stacking cakes and you use two different brands to bake the same size cake.

makeminepink Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 21

Well...... there definitely is a difference. Fat Daddios have a slightly rounded corner. Magic Line is very sharp and straight. Fat Daddios are lighter like Wilton, Magic Line is heavier with soldered seams.

melmar02 Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 21

I've got Magic Line squares and sheets and love them. Nice crisp corners!

vita752001 Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 21

I love my FD pans.

vonnie222 Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 21

I haven't used FDs but I love my Magic pans. Nice crisp square corners. I do have a few of the Wilton decorator preferred and they aren't bad, but I prefer the ML pans. icon_smile.gif

KrissieCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 21

I have ML square and Fat Daddio's Hex. I HATE THE FD! I have never had a cake sink in the middle before, but they did in the FD hex. Same batter mix in the hex as went into the ML square. ML cake came out perfect, both layers in the FD pan had a huge crater in the middle. I would send them back!

andreamen1 Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 21

send them back magic line RULES

Mom_Of_4 Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 21

That is funny you should ask because I have two six in square fat daddio pans and I really do not like them. All my other pans are magic line and I LOVE my magic line pans. If it were me I would send them back if you don't need them right away. Good luck!

lngo Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 21

I have a hodge podge of FD and ML pans. Did they charge you for ML? ML square pans are more costly than FD, so if they did charge you for ML, I'd return the FD.

Both brands bake fine for me, but ML does excel when it comes to square pans because if the straight edges.

MommaDukes Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:55pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

I have ML square and Fat Daddio's Hex. I HATE THE FD! I have never had a cake sink in the middle before, but they did in the FD hex. Same batter mix in the hex as went into the ML square. ML cake came out perfect, both layers in the FD pan had a huge crater in the middle. I would send them back!

Send me you FD pans =) I am a newbie and I have Wilton, I just bought my first FD yesterday. I haven't used it yet. But this poor country girl will take your hand me downs. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 21

Love, love, love, LOVE my Magic Line pans!

dchockeyguy Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #15 of 21

Like others, I haev a hodge podge of pans. Most everything is FD or ML. I've tried to swap out all my Wilton pans pretty early on. I like both of them. One thing I will say about FD square pans is the corner are much easier to clean than the ML ones are.

makeminepink Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #16 of 21

That part's true!

leah_s Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 21

easier to clean because it's not really square.

makeminepink Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #18 of 21

True-- I contacted the company and they're sending a tag and will have my Magic Line to me soon. Thanks for all the opinions!

salsaman42 Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #19 of 21

I like magic line better, whatever company you choose, stay with that one, I have a 14 inch of each, one the cakes are baked in both there is a definite difference in the cakes. For cleaning the corners of the magic line pans I bought a slightly stiff 1.5 inch paint brush, works great!

Arriva Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #20 of 21

I am a hobby decorator, so everything I bought when I first started was Wilton because all we have around here is Hobby Lobby and Michaels. The exception to that statement is one teacher I had actually brought supplies to class and she had a 9x13 Magic Line pan that I bought. I do love it for the square corners. I found some round magic line pans at a cake store (a little over a hour from home). I'm not sure if I like them or not. Cakes come out of my round Wilton pans with a nice brown crust on the sides and bottom. The sides and bottom of the cakes baked in the magic line pans are very light -- to the point that it doesn't look like it's done. Has anyone else experienced this?

Karen421 Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #21 of 21

I am so glad I found this thread! I just had to order new square pans for a wedding cake and I didn't know if I should stay with magic line (just get the pans I was missing) or switch to fat daddy (and get a new set). I decided to stay with magic line. I love CC you can find the answer to anything!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%