Do You Turn Your Cakes Directly On To Cake Board From Pan?

Decorating By jemchina Updated 19 May 2010 , 9:17pm by CWR41

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 8

I'm working on a 14" cake, and my cooling rack is not large enough to turn cake onto it for further cooling. I'm wondering if it will be Ok to turn directly onto cardboard cake board. I'm hoping the heat will not make the bottom stick. I've let it cool for over 10 minutes, but it's still warm to the touch.

7 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 8

I have found spraying my cake boards (after covering them in press n seal) with bakers joy keeps them from sticking. Mine were sticking bad even with press n seal on there!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 8

The cake is not going to cool properly unless it is on a cooling rack. You need to purchase some bigger racks.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 8

Do you have 2 racks that are the same height? You could put them right next to each other and cool the cake on both racks.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 8

You can also use one of your oven racks to cool the large cakes on. You just need to remove it prior to cooking your cake so it won't be "too hot to handle".

jemchina Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

You can also use one of your oven racks to cool the large cakes on. You just need to remove it prior to cooking your cake so it won't be "too hot to handle".

AHA Great idea! I went ahead and removed one now, and will let it cool.

I have the other 14" layer in the oven now. The cooling rack I have is pretty big, but slightly about 1" short on the horizontal side for this large cake.

I put some wax paper in between the cake board for now, because I needed the pan for the next layer. The cake came out with a perfect crumb, so hopefully no stickiness will happen, at least on the side I need to fill/frost.

Thanks for the tip.

jemchina Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

The cake is not going to cool properly unless it is on a cooling rack. You need to purchase some bigger racks.

You were right, though the top of the cake was cool, when I flipped it over to the oven rack, the side on the cake board was still warm, almost more than an hour later. Luckily, I had the wax paper in between. Even with that the cakeboard was soaked with I guess the moisture and some butter from the cake. This was a white -white chocolate cake with lots of fat from butter and white chocolate.

Next time I'll be sure to measure my cake pan against the cooling rack. Just one of those things that slipped my mind icon_redface.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 8

Big bakeries don't use cooling racks, they dump their cakes onto parchment covered Bun pans, slide the pans onto Bun pan racks, and either let them further cool there or they go straight into the freezer.

If you're worried that your larger layers will crack during handling (especially if it's domed or humped on the top), place a cardboard circle on the top of the cake while it's still in the pan, flip it over to allow the cake to release, and immediately place another cardboard circle on the bottom of the layer and flip it back over to upright so it cools while it's level. It will cool on cardboard just as well as it cools on a parchment covered Bun pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%