1St Time Contest

Decorating By jessiq Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:22am by jessiq

jessiq Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 3

I have been doing cakes for around 6 months. I like to think I'm pretty good. At least my husband says so! I'm entering a contest with a beginner group. I like to use buttercream, but want to learn fondant and love the way it looks. Do you get judged better/worse depending on using one over the other? What should I do?

2 replies
Elcee Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 3

It just depends on what the judges prefer. I've entered 2 contests so far...1 where the head judge talked about her preference for buttercream over fondant before allowing the winners to be announced and another where I don't think there was a single buttercream cake. Whichever you do, it should be neat and smooth. Good luck and have fun!

jessiq Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:22am
post #3 of 3

Well I did a test run. I like working with buttercream better and had made my mind up about which to use. Then my husband said that the other one looked a little smoother and would most likely travel better (2 hours). So now I'm back to square one... The contest has no theme or restrictions other than all edible. I'm in the beginner category. I'm thinking of doing a tiered cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%