Grad Cake Ideas For Runner/violinist

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 21 May 2010 , 3:02pm by Rose_N_Crantz

MissyTex Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 8

Daughter of a friend is graduating high school and Ive been asked to make the cake. Needs to serve at least 50. The grad is on the track team and plays violin in the orchestra. Shes also traveled to Europe (Paris, London, Madrid) and Boston with her various organizations. Im trying to think of something out of the box, but Im having a brain freeze. Thanks!

7 replies
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 8

An anthropomorphized violin (w/ arms and legs), wearing a grad "cap" and holding a diploma scroll, "running" across a map of Europe.

MissyTex Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 8

LOL! I love it! Now THAT's a creative idea!

MissyTex Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 8

Anyone else? While I LOVE the running violin idea, I'm not sure if I could pull it off.

Chasey Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 8

A mortar board cap on top of the ball pan, decorated like the globe. Have that sitting on a square tier with a track around the top of it and music notes on the sides of the cake. If you can make a gumpaste figure, model it after her, sitting on the edge with her arms raised in a cheer, diploma in hand.

I think that covered what you mentioned. icon_lol.gif

hollyml Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 8

You could also do just the cap, with a running track around the outside of it and orchestra instruments or music notes filling the center.

It seems obvious to combine graduation with a race finish line (you know, with the ribbon that the winner breaks through)...maybe just a fondant ribbon, with a break in the middle, laid over a cake in the shape of a diploma? Not sure how to also incorporate the violin or the world travels....paint the ribbon with a musical staff and notes?

MissyTex Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 8

Wow, more great ideas, you've got me thinking now. The hampster is awake and running on the wheel now! LOL!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 8

I got the album cover for Weird Al's cd "Running with Scissors" in my head. Have you seen it? It shows him on a track in full runners gear. He's got his arms raised high and in his hands are two pairs of scissors. I could see just replacing the scissors with a violin and bow. Maybe wearing a grad cap and cape? tough to pull off, perhaps just draw it on?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%