Gold Food Coloring/edible Paint-Where To Obtain?

Decorating By StefanieLRyan Updated 20 May 2010 , 7:12pm by MrsAB

StefanieLRyan Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering where people get gold food coloring; it almost looks like gold paint and I've seen it used for decorating accents of cake. I have gold luster dust, but I'm interested in a more solid, bold, but still metallic gold color. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

5 replies
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 6 carries the gold airbrush liquid which is what you're describing.

BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 6

The gold Americolor, both regular and airbrush, are pretty good.

I like the spray on golds by PME & ChefMaster (check fondant source . com
take out the spaces) use CAKECENTRAL as a code at check out and get 10% off--for large surfaces.

If you need to paint small things that will be eaten, Crystal Colors Gold pearl is the only FDA approved luster dust. It give a wonderful gold when mixed with lemon extract or a clear drinking alcohol (Everclear, vodka, gin, white rum).

StefanieLRyan Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm going to definitely check out your suggestions! Happy Baking!

sweettreat101 Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:22am
post #5 of 6

Fondantsource carries a fondant glaze in gold. I use the pearl and silver all the time. I love the pearl because you can add any color to it and it looks great. They sell for 2.49 and well worth the money. I was able to get our local cake supply store to carry it but she sells it for 4.99. You have to paint on and let it sit for 30 minutes then put on another coat until you achieve the desired color.

MrsAB Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for this post. Great products listed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%