Best Amount Of Cake Batter For Cupcakes?

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 19 May 2010 , 8:47pm by Kitagrl

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering if anyone knew off hand what the "right" amount of cake batter to use in your everyday standard cupcake size liners would be, to get a nice flat smooth top? Thanks!

7 replies
dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 8

For my choc and my vanilla formulas I do about 48-50 grams of each. There will be some variation depending on your batter weight, rise of cake recipe, etc but that would be a good starting point

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 8

I always measure 1/3 full of the cup. Always use an ice scream scooper!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 8

I use a 2 oz. ice cream scooper I level the scoop off by scraping it on the side of the bowl...perfect amount for cupcakes. If you use chocolate batter go just shy of the full 2 oz. since it will rise more.

However if you don't want to bother you can always cut the tops off the cupcakes..........OR if you get a slight hump you can just push a cutting board/cookie sheet down on top of them when they come out of the oven and hold for a minute, that will make all the tops nice and flat.

Reducing your heat to 325 and baking longer helps them stay flat as well!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 8

I use an ice cream scoop myself.

I want to say if you fill the cupcake wrapper 1/2 full you will get a flatter top. If you fill it 2/3rds full it will dome some.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 8

thanks everyone. In the past I have used a cake pan to smooth out the tops, unfortunately at that point they end up bulging over the sides of the cupcake wrapper icon_sad.gif I can't really cut off the tops this time because the decoration on them is just a flower piped onto it, not completely frosted. I don't have an ice cream scooper, but I do have a melon baller, I wonder if that would work?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 8

if you're having part of the cc showing on top and want it perfectly flat and flush with the wrapper go with the 2 oz. scoop and lower your temp. to 325 and bake for 20-25 min.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 8

Yep I use the 2oz scoop...depends on the recipe as to how they bake up tho.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%