Saturday Wedding.. Should I Freeze Cakes?

Decorating By mazdamoose Updated 23 May 2010 , 4:40am by mazdamoose

mazdamoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazdamoose Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 16

Hi! I am baking my cakes today (wednesday) for a Saturday wedding. Do you recommend that I freeze my cakes tonight then fill and frost tomorrow and fondant on Friday?! If so, do you level before freezing your cakes? And/or do you fill and crumbcoat before freezing? Thanks so much for all your guys' help with this being my first wedding cake!!

15 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 16

Yes, it doesn't hurt to freeze. If you're doing all of your prep work on Thursday, I'd complete the fondant as well to make sure you allow yourself enough decorating time on Friday.

mazdamoose Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 16

Would you level your cakes before you freeze them?

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdamoose

Would you level your cakes before you freeze them?

Yes and tort

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 16

I always bake on Wed. , fill and crumb coat on Thursday, ice and decorate Friday, deliver Sat. or Sun. No need to freeze.

mazdamoose Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 16

Oh really?! You don't think I would need to freeze them? What do you do, just wrap them all up tightly and leave them on the counter then? I think it would be great to not have to freeze them!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 16

I wrap them well once they cool on Wed. Then unwrap on thursday, level, torte, fill, crumb coat, wrap back in plastic, then on friday unwrap and slap on a final coat of icing, decorate, stick in dowels, etc. and box. Then deliver on Saturday. If it's due on Sunday I'll generally fill on Friday, decorate Saturday.

You're only leaving it for a day before it gets icing on it, once there is icing on the cake it will stay moist for a while!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 16

I wouldn't freeze either. I would wrap well and leave them out.

mazdamoose Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks everyone for all your help! I didn't feel like it made a whole lot of sense to freeze just for tonight (especially when I am still baking as we speak!) It was just hard trying to figure out my timeline! So I will just wrap them up, then level tomorrow and fill!

mazdamoose Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 16

Do you think it would hurt to level them tonight and then wrap them up?! I figured it I leveled them, then I could stack them on top of each other...

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 16

I like to tort and level just before I fill so the cut edge is exposed for less time, (not a germ thing, but for freshness) but I don't really think it makes a lot of difference if you wrap it well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdamoose

Thanks everyone for all your help! I didn't feel like it made a whole lot of sense to freeze just for tonight (especially when I am still baking as we speak!) It was just hard trying to figure out my timeline! So I will just wrap them up, then level tomorrow and fill!

I will freeze mine even for just 4 hours because they taste moister after being frozen; plus they are just easier to work with.

I level before freezing; thaw and crumbcoat on Thursday, ice and decorate Friday, deliver on Saturday.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:08am
post #13 of 16

I'm with Indy. I *always* try to get the cakes in the freezer even if it's just overnight, or at least for a few hours.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 16

Do ya'll ever start decorating a cake while it's still frozen? I haven't tried it yet but it sure is easier to handle those frozen layers!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #15 of 16

What do you wrap with if you're leaving it out, unfrozen? Should it be airtight, like a sticky plastic wrap, of does it need some air to keep it from getting sticky.?

mazdamoose Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #16 of 16

Okay.. so here it is! Thank you guys for all your help! You are wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%