What Have I Gotten Myself In To!!!!

Decorating By tmac670 Updated 22 May 2010 , 1:24pm by RosieC

tmac670 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 4

So I am making this big cake for my son's band banquet. to be honest it has been all consuming for about a month now. I am working in a commercial kitchen- so that is great- BUT>>>>>> I really need things to be going more smoothly. My car ended up in the shop on Monday- so I am having to grab rides there and home- so I have to bend to other's schedules. There is this one layer of cake that is trying to kill me! I have burned it twice- once I fell asleep and then I put it into a 650 degree oven- so I have to rebake it again today. This cake is due Friday afternoon- is that lone layer going to have time to settle? I am about to start it over again- so it will be in the freezer overnight- but all the other cakes were baked on Monday- is this going to affect it?
I covered one layer in fondant today and it became so sticky that I cold not smooth it. I have it back in the cooler now- but I am afraid that when I take it out of the cooler to deliver that the whole thing is going to melt.
I am having a nervous breakdown- and I have not even started to stack the dang thing- what have I gotten myself into????? icon_cry.gif

3 replies
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 4

if your cake was in the fridge before covering it in fondant then that's your sticky issue (you get condensation once it comes to room temp)

if you let it sit at room temp. it should dry up and be fine again though.

As for the other cake layer that was baked later than the others, it really shouldn't make a difference.

tmac670 Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 4

KHalstead-- thanks all worked out great-- it took that cake ALL DAY to dry out- but dry it did- and we left it out on the counter to avoid all that sweating tomorrow.

Thanks so much.

RosieC Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 4

Glad it all worked out for you in the end...made all that worrying worth it I guess... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%