Make The Cut

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 19 May 2010 , 10:41pm by metria

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 10

I am sorry if this is posted somewhere, but I searched for Make the Cut, Make-the-Cut, and "Make the Cut" and got no hits, so I am just going to ask my questions!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am not particularly computer savy, so I am wondering:

1. Do you connect the cricut to your computer using a USB cord or how does that work?

2. When I scan images, it saves them as a .gif or .jpg. Can I not use those images with Make the Cut or do I need to change something on my computer to save images as .svg and if I do that, will it screw it up all my other images?

I guess I will stop there and see if I get any responses. Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am leary of spending any more money on my hobby and want to make sure I am making the right choice and a product I can actually use.

Thanks!

9 replies
therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 10

I wish I could help you.. sorry I'm not computer savy also... I would aslo know how to use sure cuts alot for the cricut also... hope you get the answers you need soon. icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, you connect with a USB cable. You do not need to save images as svg. jpg and gif should work just fine. You can download a trial version and play with it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 10

Also try searching for MTC that is how I have seen it referred to in most of the topics. I just searched using MTC and got 56 matches.

Sorry I can't help with the questions though, haven't used any of the products.

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 10

Hey thanks everyone! I will download the trial version and it is awesome to know it works with .jpeg and .gif!!! I will have to try it out. I will also do a search for MTC (duh! icon_redface.gif)

I read somewhere on here at sometime that MTC (see, I got it! icon_wink.gif) is more user friendly than Sir Cuts Alot, but I don't know that for a fact. I read that and went with it and started researching MTC. Good luck on your search too! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 10

I think it's more user friendly then SCAL

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 10

I'm so glad I ran into this thread! I had thought of purchasing MTC months ago but a SCAL rep. convinced me it was not as good as SCAL. So I didn't. Then after reading this thread I decided the heck with it! I downloaded a free version and its amazing!!!! With SCAL I have to use inkscape, figure out a way how to get the item in all black so I can scan it, save it then import it into inkscape then convert it to an SVG then import it to SCAL and then finally get to cut it!!!!!! I just downloaded the the free version about 2 hours ago and was able to copy pictures directly into MTC, even from the internet, and just simply connect my cricut to the computer and cut away!!!! Hope they come up with a mac version soon! I love it! Makes life so much easier! So much easier than SCAL that's for sure!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 10

wha? with SCAL 2.0 you don't need inkscape. SCAL 2.0 can trace an image (e.g. jpg) just like MTC.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 10

Well that sucks for me!!!! I bought SCAL 1.0 just before they came out with SCAL 2.0 and wasn't willing to dish out another 60 bucks for the newer version. I wish I had know that they were coming up with a 2.0 so soon after I bought mine!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 10

sry, SharonK1973! I'm not sure when v2.0 came out, but it also looks like a lot of the reviews of SCAL on the internet were with v1.0. Honestly, I think the latest SCAL and MTC are really really similar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%