How Do I Keep Display Cakes Looking Great?

Business By rowingmom Updated 20 May 2010 , 5:57pm by johnson6ofus

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 6

I have made a few display cakes for Bridal Fairs and ect... There is too much humidity in my tasting room for some of the more delicate Gum paste work to survive for long and I don't want to quickly loose all that work. Can I spray something on them to lock moisture in with out effecting the look of the cake?

5 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 6

Thats a great question!! I await the answer!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 6

i know some people spray their with varnish, but i cant say if that would help against the humidity, seeing as britain does really have any!
xx

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 6

Sorry, I can't answer your question but it reminded of this. There is a small candy and cake supply shop near me that has display cakes in the window. I stopped in once to check it out and to pick up some dragees and those cakes were so dusty and faded! Just nasty! I would love to know how long it's been since she's had a cake order and if it ever crosses her mind why! icon_biggrin.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 6

I was watching Amazing Cakes (is that the name? on the WE channel?) yesterday and the baker in Orange County (Garret?) was doing a consult and most of his dummies are in glass fronted cabinets.
Don't know if that is to protect from the elements (beach community) or curious fingers. Probably a bit of both.
MS had this as a "Good Thing" a while back...spray with some of the old school hairspray. Sounds iffy, may just be a dust magnet.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 6

Why not make displays with clay or playdoh? That way it is permanent. No one will eat it, and any "sneaky fingers" will get quite a surprise.... icon_eek.gif

After all, gumpaste work is sculpting- just with sugar instead of clay....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%