Wasc Vs. Super Enhanced Cake Mix And The Winner Is......

Decorating By kellikrause Updated 21 May 2010 , 12:33am by JohnnyCakes1966

kellikrause Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 24

I have been using the super enhanced cake mix recipe from this site but everyone is always talking about WASC so I gave it a try. I made both recipies and took samples to my husbands work for a taste test. (I'm now very popular there, btw icon_smile.gif ) All but 1 person picked the super enhanced cake as their favorite. So now I know and can move on, lol

23 replies
tmelrose Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 24

Hmm thanks for the insight. I have yet to try either recipes. There are a couple different WASC recipes on here. Which one did you try? I'll have to try out some of these recipes. Any tips on the super enhanced recipe making it chocolate, just choc cake mix and add 3 TB cocoa?

kellikrause Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 24

I tried the one with 2 tbps of oil. Use 3 generous TB of cocoa when making it chocolate and I usually add an extra TB of sour cream too to account for the extra dry ingredient.

mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 24

I use the "origional" WASC receipe by kakeladi. It doesn't have any oil in it. I've tried other WASC receipes and didn't like them as much.

dahir Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 24

which recipe of the Super Enhanced did you use.
Thats great to know which one people prefer

Thanks !

newmansmom2004 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 24

Good info! I've tried a few different WASC recipes and so far haven't liked any of them. I may try the super enhanced recipe now.

Thanks!

kellikrause Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 24

this one, found it in recipes on this site and love it!!!

Super Enhanced Cake Formula
Ingredients
1 Cake Mix Box (Duncan Heines®, Betty Crocker®, Pillsbury® etc.)
1 cup All purpose flour
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 generous dash of salt

3 large eggs
1/3 cup water
1/4 Heavy Cream
1 cup Sour Cream (8 oz.)
1 cup melted butter
1 Tablespoon of Vanilla If making a white cake, use clear vanilla so cake will not discolor

** If making a chocolate cake:
3 Mounded tablespoons of cocoa powder

Instructions
For this recipe you are only going to use the actual cake mix powder, do NOT also add the ingredients from directions on the cake mix box. Just ignore any other ingredients or directions listed on the cake mix packaging.

Preheat Oven to 330°
1. Mix flour, sugar, cake mix, **cocoa powder, and salt together with fork, set aside.

2. Into Mixer bowl put eggs, water, sour cream, butter, vanilla, and cream.

3. Add dry ingredients and mix well on (about 2 minutes on low speed).

4. Bake at 330° for 65 minutes for 9 in. cake pan.

raquel1 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 24

Thanks for posting your results, I will give it a try even though I looove the wasc cake.

dm321 Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikrause

Ingredients
1 cup All purpose flour
1 generous dash of salt

3 large eggs
1/3 cup water
1/4 Heavy Cream
1 cup Sour Cream (8 oz.)
1 cup melted butter
1 Tablespoon of Vanilla If making a white cake, use clear vanilla so cake will not discolor

kellikrause, when making white cake with this method - do you remove the egg yolks and/or add additional egg white(s)?

Also, does this recipe work well for tiered cakes?

Thanks!
diem

FlourPots Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 24

I also liked the Super Enhanced Cake better than the WASC, but I thought it was a little sweet and I planned to cut the sugar to 3/4 cups the next time I made it.

KTB4 Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:05am
post #11 of 24

Hmm interesting. I like the WASC but am not over the moon about it. I'll have to try this.

Loucinda Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #12 of 24

Hmm......that is about the same recipe I use that is WASC! icon_confused.gif (I just use some almond extract too) No wonder it is my best seller! icon_wink.gif

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:49am
post #13 of 24

Hi! I was wondering if this Super Enhanced Cake Formula is good for cupcakes & if so, how long do you have to bake them if you are filling the standard size liners half full. Also, if you are making mini cuppies, how long to you bake them? I either underbake or overbake. I will try lowering my oven to 325-330...it is the length of time I am mainly concerned about. icon_redface.gif

MrsAB Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #14 of 24

Super Enhanced Cake Formula...never heard of it before. Now you have my attention!" Looking forward to trying it soon.

lilrhodybaker Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 24

I'm looking to do a 2 layered 10" cake, am I going to have to double the "Super enhanced cake formula"?

Or is the "cake mix extender" my best bet?

TIA!!

jardot22 Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:40pm
post #16 of 24

This looks exactly like the WASC recipe, if you omit the butter and add slightly more water. Who wouldn't love more butter in their cake LOL.

raquel1 Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:09pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardot22

This looks exactly like the WASC recipe, if you omit the butter and add slightly more water. Who wouldn't love more butter in their cake LOL.

Exactly what I was thinking icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #18 of 24

If you're going to alter/add that much crap to a cake mix why not just make a scratch cake?

jardot22 Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:24pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

If you're going to alter/add that much crap to a cake mix why not just make a scratch cake?

I prefer the WASC taste-wise to scratch, but that's just me. I can't seem to find a recipe/method that works for me from scratch, so WASC is ideal in my case. I think it tastes awesome. Plus, it's still a timesaver, even if only slightly. icon_smile.gif

kellikrause Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:08pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm321

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikrause

Ingredients
1 cup All purpose flour
1 generous dash of salt

3 large eggs
1/3 cup water
1/4 Heavy Cream
1 cup Sour Cream (8 oz.)
1 cup melted butter

kellikrause, when making white cake with this method - do you remove the egg yolks and/or add additional egg white(s)?

Also, does this recipe work well for tiered cakes?

Thanks!
diem

I still use whole eggs, I'm lazy I guess. I have not noticed the batter changing color that much.

kellikrause Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:11pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATHIESKREATIONS

Hi! I was wondering if this Super Enhanced Cake Formula is good for cupcakes & if so, how long do you have to bake them if you are filling the standard size liners half full. Also, if you are making mini cuppies, how long to you bake them? I either underbake or overbake. I will try lowering my oven to 325-330...it is the length of time I am mainly concerned about. icon_redface.gif

I used this for cupcakes the other day. Basically I did one mix for a 8in square and the leftover batter made 6 LARGE cupcakes. I shoved jumbo liners into standard pans and filled them 1/2 way, and put a Dove chocolate pb candy in the middle of each. I just watched them until they were slightly springy and pulled them.

dahir Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:22pm
post #22 of 24

It does look alot like WASC - I was wondering if you add the butter - does it make the cake softer or is it still strong enough to stack for tiered cakes?

Joyfull4444 Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:11pm
post #23 of 24

I tried different ways of making wasc and found I was getting to many failures plus it was always too sweet. I've changed it around till I got the mixture to my liking and have to say its my most requested plus it bakes up nice too.
Thanks to a fellow cakers advice I use self rising flour, in my case self rising cake & pastry flour as thats all that is available here. I only use 2/3 cup of the SR flour, not a full cup. I cut the sugar back to a little over 1/2 cup, I only use berry sugar which would be superfine sugar in the US. I add 4 whole eggs, use buttermilk for the liquid as well as the sour cream, 1/3 cup oil + vanilla & almond extracts. I don't add extra salt.

I've not tried the super enhanced recipe so can't really speak for it at all, but I don't quite understanding the addition of a full cup of melted butter in the recipe unless one was trying to bake a pound type cake instead of a layer cake.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #24 of 24

I just HAD to try a cake that called for a cup of melted butter. I baked an 8" round, 1/2 dozen large cupcakes, and 1/2 dozen regular cupcakes. (I like to try different sizes when I test a recipe to see what it works for.) I can tell you one thing, this is a deeeelicious cake!! Unfortunately, it totally fell apart on me when I turned it out. The cupcakes also fall apart and would be messy to eat. I let everything cool before touching, so not sure if it's the recipe or something I did wrong? icon_confused.gif But did I mention, it tastes deeeeeeeelicious??!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%