Entering My First Competition, Need Help With Ideas Please.

Baking By thin4life Updated 22 May 2010 , 11:23pm by Eisskween

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 12

This is a charity event and the theme is "Magic, through the eyes of a child" I am doing cupcakes but have no idea how to decorate. I thought maybe a fondant decoration but of what? Anyone have any ideas.

11 replies
SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 12

what about doing small hats with rabbits in them or a magic wand with the bouquet of flowers coming out, a couple cards like pick a card that is what I can think of

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 12

Something that we are blase about but is magical to a child...like dandelions icon_smile.gif .

thin4life Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the ideas, is there anyone else out there with some more ideas. I was thinking maybe tie dye cupcakes. Any thoughts on those?

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 12

Ok, not helpful --but just plain old cupcakes with sprinkles are pretty darn magical through a child's eyes! icon_smile.gif

I tend to think of anything nature...like some cupcakes could be rainbows, some pots of gold....you could do them brightly coloured inside as well. Or, little bird nests with mini eggs icon_smile.gif Hmmm, what else is magic.....santa/tooth fairy/easter bunny?
That's all I got.

thin4life Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecraft

Ok, not helpful --but just plain old cupcakes with sprinkles are pretty darn magical through a child's eyes! icon_smile.gif

I tend to think of anything nature...like some cupcakes could be rainbows, some pots of gold....you could do them brightly coloured inside as well. Or, little bird nests with mini eggs icon_smile.gif Hmmm, what else is magic.....santa/tooth fairy/easter bunny?
That's all I got.

Rainbows would match the tie dye cupcakes so maybe that will be the route I take, any other ideas out there?

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #7 of 12

big beautiful eye with lashes and then a muted rainbow in the pupil>>

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:53am
post #8 of 12

I'm thinking stars and sparkly things. Like fairy dust or something. How to incorporate that into a cupcake (other than just make a sparkly cupcake), I'm not sure.

That's a tough theme. Anything really is magical to a child. A pink cupcake can be magical to a child!

You could go a different direction and do something that has to do with Scorceres (sp?), or Harry Potter type magic stuff. What about little frogs with crowns on their heads? Like a frog prince!

Just trying to help you brainstorm! icon_smile.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #9 of 12

I know you won't have a lot of space because of a cupcake's size, but could you somehow show something that's partially realistic--partially magic?

Ideas:

-tiny building blocks stacked into a castle, but the top part actually looks like a real castle...just like it would to a child

-a rope that morphs into a snake

-plain rocks/diamonds or treasure

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #10 of 12

letsgetcaking - that's a really cute idea!

LittleMonster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMonster Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 12

I think that it would be cute to spin off of Harry Potter, since that really is the center of "Magic" for a lot of children.

I found these pictures of cupcakes that you could branch out from as a reference:

http://blog.tinyprints.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/once-upon-a-cupcake.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2632/3721062867_fb5a052cee.jpg

Haha, also. The first thing I thought of was "cardboard box" cupcakes.
I don't know if anyone else has dealt with this, but a lot of the children in my family are fascinated with plain cardboard boxes. They crawl inside and imagine its all sorts of things. I don't get it at all! =P

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that a cardboard box would make a very interesting cupcake. xD

Good luck in the competition! Post pictures of the cupcakes you make! =]

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 22 May 2010 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%