Whats Your Trick To Great

Decorating By CNCS Updated 24 May 2010 , 6:07pm by Sassy74

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 17

square corners?

Im having a hard time today getting mine sharp and clean. Ughhhhhh.

16 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 17

A good bench scraper and lots of practice.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 17

Magic line pans, Sugarshack's dvd, and practice! icon_smile.gif

When you are scraping the icing off the sides, pull the icing from the corners IN...hope that makes sense.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 17

are you trying to get square corners with buttercream or fondant?

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

are you trying to get square corners with buttercream or fondant?

Oh, leily, what a good question!!!

CNCS Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 17

buttercream.

CNCS Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 17

I had to just lay down the spatula and walk away for a while its seemed to help now I can get to work for me.

Was getting a bit agrivated.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 17

I'm doing square corners in fondant this week. Any tips? I think I'm more nervous than the bride.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 17

when covering a square in fondant, freeze the cake for 10 or 15 minutes so the icing is good and hard (make sure you've got the icing perfectly smooth with nice sharp corners), and then wet a paper towel and use it to dampen the icing, then put on the piece of fondant and smooth your corners first, one corner, then smooth that side, smooth the next corner, the next side, etc. If you try to smooth the flat sides of the square first you'll never get the corners done without pleats.

Also, once the whole cake is covered and smooth...take 2 fondant smoothers and kind push on either side by each corner making it more square and sharp.

HTH

By the way, I think squares are MUCH easier to cover than circles! lol

CNCS Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 17

Ok why arent there any videos or tuts on here or youtube that show square cakes iced in buttercream they are all round or fondant.

BeanCountingBaker Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 17

KHalstead -- Thanks for the tips! I was thinking that I shouldn't have the cake cold that that would make the fondant less flexible. I'm just going to go slow and start with the corners.

CNCS - seriouscakes has a video on youtube of icing a square cake in buttercream. Check out her videos, she makes some great cakes.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 17

well, if you just freeze the cake for 10 minutes...the inside cake doesn't have a chance to become cold, only the icing gets hard. I've never had the fondant get wet or have bubbles or condensation or anything doing it this way. However when I've refrigerated the cakes for lengthy times and then tried to apply fondant everything got wet and sticky before I was done smoothing and was a big mess!

CNCS Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks I'll take a look later when the business closes and I get back to the house.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 17

I just picked up an outside corner scraper in the drywall section at Home Depot. I'm going to try it with a papertowel between it and the cake the next time I have to ice a square.

BeanCountingBaker Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 17

Success with the square corners!!!

Thank you KHalstead, I worked from one corner at a time and I had almost no trouble with my fondant. I did a 3 cake grouping, seven cakes in all, and 27 out of 28 corners went smoothly. The only problem corner just didn't cooperate so I ended up with a small seam that was almost totally covered by fondant ribbon at the bottom of the cake. Thanks again.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:23pm
post #16 of 17

there is a tutorial on here about buttercream corners that I found helpful. Check in the tutorial section.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #17 of 17

Also, using a HOT bench scraper can help. Dip your scraper into a pot of really hot (not boiling) water, dry it off quickly, lay it against the corner of your cake and pull toward the center. Squares take a lot of practice for some of us (including ME!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%