Using A Convection Oven To Bake Cakes

Baking By libbygrl109 Updated 19 May 2010 , 7:35pm by egensinnig

libbygrl109 Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 5

I'm a hobby baker, just getting into decorating. I have a convection oven that I've used to bake other things, but never used it for cakes. Was wondering if it's possible to use convection and get good results, especially for larger (10" and up) cakes. TIA

4 replies
LilaLoa Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 5

Its absolutely possible. You will just have to learn to adjust a few things. First, I usually bring the temp down 25 degrees and it still cooks a little quicker than the recipe states. Sometimes I have problems with the fan blowing too hard and making my cake drop, but usually they bake just fine. Does your oven have the option to switch from convection to regular? I've baked up to a 16" in a convection oven and had no problems. Good luck!!

pupandbon Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 5

don't have any expericence at all but was researching for a friend and found this, maybe it will help...

http://www.convection-calculator.com/

libbygrl109 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalyn

Its absolutely possible. You will just have to learn to adjust a few things. First, I usually bring the temp down 25 degrees and it still cooks a little quicker than the recipe states. Sometimes I have problems with the fan blowing too hard and making my cake drop, but usually they bake just fine. Does your oven have the option to switch from convection to regular? I've baked up to a 16" in a convection oven and had no problems. Good luck!!

Yes, it can be either regular or convection.

egensinnig Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 5

I use my convection oven when baking multiple cakes, and just like Avalyn recommended bring it down 25 degrees ( Celsius in my case) But every oven has it's on temperament icon_smile.gif so do a test run and see if it differs in cooking time. I find that the crust is not as hard and a bit gooey when using convection. But that might just be mine....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%