I Think I Posted About This Once Before

Decorating By CNCS Updated 19 May 2010 , 9:10pm by cheatize

CNCS Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 5

I really cant remember.

Anyway last month when I had my 6 month inspection the inspector and I got into a conversation of memories of growing up and our fave desserts grandma made. I said yeah my aunt got my grans recipebox and wouldnt let anyone near it until she cleaned out all the recipes for herself.

Said it was a family secret in some of the recipes and didnt want the secret ingredient get out to nosey bizzy bodies. The inspector laughed and said yeah but what if that secret ingredient was something someone was allergic to and needed medical attention. Then what.

she said by law you had to list all ingredients secret or not on labels if you package things, sell or cater. This way your insurance will cover you and you wont be in trouble with the hd.

She said she too had a relative take away cookbooks and recipes from a relatives home after a funeral and when confronted she said she would photo copy and mail out what ever anyone wanted. her moms envelope arrived with the recipes she wanted and yep she had marked out ingredients with a sharpie and edited the instructions. Kept the original for herself.

So if you ever got a recipe and it still wont turn out like grans...bet your bottom dollar she left out her secret ingredient. LOL.

4 replies
mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 5

I have my grandmother's receipe box full of her handwritten receipes. I would never think of not sharing any of her receipes with any of my family if they were to ask. However, I probably wouldn't give them to just anyone. icon_smile.gif

I love her receipe box icon_biggrin.gif . Everything is handwritten on pieces of notebook paper and on each receipe is the date that she made it.
Some say "May 24, 1946...it's raining today, and hot." One note said "October 15, 1983...got a flu shot the other day and haven't felt good since."
Not only are the receipes beautifully written in her handwritting but they're kind of like a diary. My favorite is a note on her pound cake receipe that reads"Vera Knight is always asking me for this receipe...I told her 'oh, it's just a pound of this and a pound of that....why I call it pound cake'..July 24, 1967."

Sorry to ramble but I do miss my grandma. She's been gone since New Years Day 1984. I always wondered if it had something to do with that "flu shot". icon_lol.gif She was only 59 when she died.

Cakelayer Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 5

mamawrobin,
Your post brought tears to my eyes....my Grandmother was also a wonderful baker and I still have some of her recipes. What wonderful memories they bring back!

Thanks for sharing.

DianaJJ

mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakelayer

mamawrobin,
Your post brought tears to my eyes....my Grandmother was also a wonderful baker and I still have some of her recipes. What wonderful memories they bring back!

Thanks for sharing.

DianaJJ

icon_smile.gificon_cry.gificon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 5

I have my great-grandmother's recipe book. I don't remember ever meeting her but my mom thought I was the best person to have it.

It's mostly recipes clipped from magazines or something glued onto blank pages. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%