Wondering About Motors Used In Cakes

Decorating By midnghtmoon74 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 1:04pm by midnghtmoon74

midnghtmoon74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midnghtmoon74 Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a motor in a cake to make wheels spin round. If so any suggestions on where to get the motor from and what speed it should be. I am new to all Cake decorating and self teaching myself. I want to do a Tanker truck like the one my Dad drove in Vietnam for him and would love if I could get the front wheels to spin.

4 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 19 May 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 5

Take a trip down the toy aisle at your local store. I use things that I find there - you will have to keep in mind the fact that cake is heavy. Much heavier than plastic and will probably generally want a larger motor than you think you will need. Remote controlled cars work well, for little things you can use electric trains. You will most likely have to remove some of the plastic parts (such as a car body etc) to get to the motor its self but it can be done.
Good luck!

midnghtmoon74 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for the great idea. I never thought of the toy section. I think a remote controlled car would be great and be just what I am looking for. Thank you

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 5

Check your thrift store for toys, too. You can also check the candy aisle. I just picked up two things that whirl and light up on clearance that I hope to use in a cake someday.

midnghtmoon74 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 5

I will deffinately start hitting up thrift stores to icon_smile.gif I never thought about that either icon_smile.gif Thanks so much for the help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%