I Need 2 Questions Answered!

Decorating By young9 Updated 20 May 2010 , 3:16am by casme

young9 Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 15

so i had my neighbor call and wants me to do a mini cake for her daughter's wedding. (she is doing...oh the horror...WALMART cupcakes to actually serve to the guests...shudder) anyway, she thought maybe a 8" 6" 4" three tier stacked cake. i can only find a 4" pan if i buy the set of three mini cake pans which are 2" 3" 4".

should i suggest just having the super mini cake and if i do, how many does that serve? i have no idea how much to charge since i have no idea how many that would technically serve?

does the super mini even look good since it is so small. the design she chose is really simple with just a ribbon and tiny bow around the center of the top tier, diamond pattern around the middle tier and plain bottom tier with just their names written on the front.

What would you guys do?

i'm really having to laugh with this wedding. they send me a picture of the cake they want and say.." we just want it simple, elegant and classic" i say oh that is great.
then she goes on to say, the mini cake will be on the top plate of a three tier cupcake stand and on the other 2 plates will be her fake purse cake and his fake hockey jersey cake..with both those cakes done in colors that aren't even included in the wedding. i just think the cake table is going to look like a huge mess...especially when you add those walmart cupcakes in!

14 replies
mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 15

I didn't have to buy a set to get my 4 inch pan. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby for $5.49.

Personally, I wouldn't do the cake. But that's just me.
I agree. That is probably going to be a tacky table. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 15

Well, an 8-6-4 isn't a mini cake, it's a small standard cake and would serve around 40 ppl.

The small cake that goes on the top of a cupcake tower is not a multi-tiered cake, but usually a small 7 or 6 inch round single tier.

Honestly, this wedding sounds like a hot mess and I wouldn't want anything to do with it. They can get their "mini cake" for the bride and groom at Wal-mart along with their cheap donkey butt cupcakes.

TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 15

The 2/3/4 combo is going to be a pain to ice. Not saying it can't be done, just that it will take longer than we think cause we think oh, small cake, no problem.

Michaels has a small 4in spring form pan if you are looking for another place to find one of those.

leily Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 15

you can buy a single 4" magic line pan from quite a few places online.

As for the order, I wouldn't touch it. I specify that there can not be cake provided by anyone other than me at an event of that size. That other cake could be mistaken as yours (you think they're really going to tell someone they bought cupcakes at wal-mart?) plus if for any reason someone gets sick they may try to come back on you. Just another thing to consider.

young9 Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 15

ok so how would you guys go about telling the person that i just can't do the cake without sounding like i can't handle it or something?

leily Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 15

I would tell them that what my policy is about my cake being the only one served for legal/liability issues. If they would like you to provide ALL of the cakes then please let you know as soon as possible so you can get them in your schedule.

also, in your op, you had asked how much to charge for the smaller cake. The same as you would for the 10-8-6. Just because it's smaller does NOT mean it's easier. The smaller the cake the harder it is to decorate and handle.

-Tubbs Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 15

If you decide to do it (I wouldn't), I just thought I'd pass along my tip for 4" cakes...
I needed and didn't have a 4" pan, so I cut the top and bottom off a large tomato can and used it as a cutter to cut rounds from two 6" cakes. Works really well.

prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 15

Just tell them that you're not available to do a cake for that date. Doesn't matter if you'll be unavailable because you'll be sitting on your butt watching Grey's Anatomy reruns and eating chocolate bon bons, you're unavailable is all they need to know.

Or, you could be honest and just tell them that you don't want to do the cake. Brutal honesty would be including the information that you don't want your cake associated with their tacky, cheap, hot mess. icon_twisted.gif But you don't need to go there, unless you don't want them ever calling for a cake...with some people that's desirable. icon_wink.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 15

prterrell - "Hot mess" is the first thing that came to mind when I was reading this! icon_lol.gif Just like I wouldn't decorate a cake that someone else baked, I wouldn't touch this wedding. Nope.

costumeczar Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 15

Maybe they'll also decorate the table with the wire coat hanger hooks that one of my brides had, with made-by-the-kindergarteners pipe cleaner and tissue paper butterflies hanging from the bent wire hanger hooks.

People have no idea how crappy things are going to look, you'd be doing her a favor by telling her.

KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 15

costumeszar you didn't happen to take any pics did you?

wait, was it like this?
LL

andreamen1 Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 15

YOU CAN BUY THE 4 IN FOR PRETTY CHEAP AT COOKSDREAM.COM I BUY MOSTLY ALL MY PANS THERE

costumeczar Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 15

It was uglier than that. Picture some brown wire coat hangers bent into shepherd's crooks, with pipe cleaner butterflies hanging form them. Lovely. I didn't take pictures on purpose.

casme Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #15 of 15

Honestly, this wedding sounds like a hot mess and I wouldn't want anything to do with it. They can get their "mini cake" for the bride and groom at Wal-mart along with their cheap donkey butt cupcakes.

LOL too funny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%