Rosary..how Do You Make?

Decorating By proudmommaof3 Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:37pm by Marianna46

proudmommaof3 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 14

How do you make a rosary for a communion cake? How do you get each ball and the cross to stick together? I'm always intrigued when people make them and they look so real.

Help!

Karen
LL

13 replies
Malakin Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 14

Do you have a certain picture of a cake you are looking at so we can see and help you? I've never seen one yet.

prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 14

I've never seen one on a cake that was made of gumpaste, I've only ever seen the cheap little plastic ones made to go on cakes.

CakesByLJ Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 14

I purchased a mold made by First Impressions, and I just love it... the details are incredible.. check out my photo; especially the close up..
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1678989.html
You can use fondant or gumpaste, and I painted it gold, using luster dust and everclear...

cheatize Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 14

That is gorgeous! Did you string it together?

BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 14

That rosary by First Impressions is gorgeous. I've been too cheap to buy it because I already have several sized pearl molds from FI, so I use those.

I make the string of beads and then mold a cross out of a chocolate mold that I have (plastic mold from the cake & candy store). It's not as accurate, but it works.

HTH
Rae
LL

CakesByLJ Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

That is gorgeous! Did you string it together?

It has separate pieces in the mold, and I just put it together as I laid it on the cake. Easy peasy... icon_biggrin.gif

CakesbyOma Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 14

So that's your secret!! Saw the cake this morning and the rosary was the first thing that caught my eye and the one aspect of the cake I had to make a comment on. I mean the cake is gorgeous, but that rosary - well that's just beautiful. I had to read your comments twice to ensure it was indeed fondant/gumpaste. Great job!

CakesByLJ Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyOma

So that's your secret!! Saw the cake this morning and the rosary was the first thing that caught my eye and the one aspect of the cake I had to make a comment on. I mean the cake is gorgeous, but that rosary - well that's just beautiful. I had to read your comments twice to ensure it was indeed fondant/gumpaste. Great job!

Thanks Oma~! And I appreciate your comments very much... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:18am
post #10 of 14

I absolutely love the rosary in that photo as well - well done.

I did make a small one for a christening cake - I made it out of fondant, then coloured it with blue and gold.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1419953.html

I rolled each bead and also cut out the cross with fondant and the just painted that as well with gold lustre dust.

Cheers,

Kim

CakesByLJ Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:46pm
post #11 of 14

Beautiful work on that cake Kim~! icon_biggrin.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Beautiful work on that cake Kim~! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you icon_redface.gif that's very kind icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #13 of 14

Karen, I'm sorry if my instructions weren't clear. Or were you looking for a different technique?

Marianna46 Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 14

I made a Mardi Gras cake (which I haven't posted yet) with several strings of beads on it. I don't have a mold, but I punched all the beads out of rolled out gumpaste with a #12 tip, as suggested on another thread here, and rolled them into balls. I strung them with dental floss so they'd hang like real beads. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%